Archipelago


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
July 19th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sailing to Stockholm was a bit like cruising a supertanker along Coniston Water - for four hours there were hundreds of tiny pine covered islands on either side of the boat, their granite polished thousands of years ago by the glaciers and through which our Captain had to accept the services of a local pilot to navigate his way to the Capital of Sweden; and that trip to and fro was definitely a highlight of our trip so far. We settled down on the deck, wrapped up in ship's blankets and watched the beautiful world go by, looking a bit like Hiawatha and whoever his squaw was which would explain why one old man kept saying "How!" every time we walked past. Believe me, on a cruise that can seem quite funny!

The city looked interesting enough and in the old quarter it resembed parts of Prague but one can barely scratch the surface when only given 6 hours to DO it in. We have had to come to terms with the fact that our visits are mere tasters and that if we really like one of these cities then we will just have to come back and stay for a normal amount of time to do it any justice at all.

As we reached the sea again we watched as the pilots' boat drew up along side the ship and two men stepped nimbly across from our ship to their own; their job done, they faced the four hour return journey back to Stockholm.

Helsinki tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb