Far North


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
October 13th 2005
Published: October 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Space CowboysSpace CowboysSpace Cowboys

These guys alone drew us inside to have a drink at the Nine O Clock bar in Kunming. Afterwards we couldnt leave without taking a picture.
Based on some rough estimation, Sherry and I are making the unofficial call that we have each both set a new mark for 'personally-occupied, most northernmost point'. It looks like Stockholm is around 59.333 (you could say '3 repeating' if you're a math brain) degrees north latitude. That's pretty far north! In fact, in all likelihood when we grabbed our bags from the luggage carousel at the airport some 40km north of here, we were probably over 60 degrees north. We expect to restablish a new point of extreme when we travel on Sunday to Uppsala which is farther north.

So, here we are in the so-called capital of Scandanavia, at least that's what the airport billboards were proclaiming. As far as I know, there are 3 other (at least) Scandanavian capitals that might compete. We're staying with Sherry's friend Elin and boyfriend Fredrick. Very glad to be here!

After doing a little bit of web research this AM, Ive figured out that there's an odd connection between Scandanavia and our earlier destination of China. There was this pop song that we heard everywhere we went there, and it turns out its from a Danish artist of all things.
Biking Near YangshuoBiking Near YangshuoBiking Near Yangshuo

Happy couple biking near Yangshuo, Guanxi Province.
This song was seriously everywhere, pumping from just about every store, english original, chinese lyrics, dance remixes. In fact, when we visited the Wisdom Girls School in Yangshuo for our English Party experience, the girls had all memorized the lyrics and sang the song to us to practice their English.

So, the name of the group is 'Michael Learns to Rock', and I seriously hope that you've never heard of them. The song is called 'Take me to your Heart' and it rocks!! Okay, it doesn't rock, but be warned, if you listen to it once, you might not be able to get it out of your head. Official Band Website.

Anyway, thanks for the many comments. re: our Chinese travel experiences, and difficulties. These of course were our experiences and also these were our experiences in mainland China, not Hong Kong. re: things to do in Stockholm, thanks for the tips. We'll check things out. re: Chinese strip clubs, we didn't see too many of these.

Today we'll take our borrowed bicycles for a ride into the city proper to explore places including the old city. Yesterday was beautfiul and sunny while we did laundry and slept. So,
Just Another Day in the MineJust Another Day in the MineJust Another Day in the Mine

Okay, so it wasn't a mine, it's a cave. Still, it was a pretty tight squeeze here.
of course today is a bit grey and gloomy. Still, we're told that it's much warmer than usual, so we'll take it.

Hope that you enjoy the photos.

-Cory


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Moon HillMoon Hill
Moon Hill

Moon Hill, the one with the hole in it. Near Yangshuo.
Fun in the MudFun in the Mud
Fun in the Mud

After our soak in the mud bath. Moon Cave near Yangshuo.
P.B.R.P.B.R.
P.B.R.

We found Pabst Blue Ribbon available in this Chinese grocery store. Incidentally the shirt I'm wearing is for Chang Beer, a Thai brand.
The Dark SideThe Dark Side
The Dark Side

Not to be culturally insensitive, but how would you like to have to 'go' here?
Aftermath of a Sichuan HotpotAftermath of a Sichuan Hotpot
Aftermath of a Sichuan Hotpot

3 shirts ruined (splattering oil)
Red PandaRed Panda
Red Panda

Photogenic little buggers aren't they?


13th October 2005

yin/yang and this/that
happy happy, joy joy. I have no additional comment except a BIG THANK YOU CORY!! due to the fact that the interesting and timely blog reports are great and sherry's postcard dated 9/2 arrived 10/12. someone must have walked it here. good to know she has you cory and the internet...

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb