Denmark to Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
August 14th 2023
Published: August 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Bags packed, up and away. Our train to Stockholm didn’t leave until 1421 so we had a bit of time on our hands. Didn’t have to check out until 1200 but left earlier as we were up and about.

Dropped the bags into the luggage room at the hotel so we could wander without the bags being a hassle.

Stopped at a place we had passed every day. They made fresh sandwiches which looked pretty good. There was an American couple outside eating one and showed us what they looked like. In and waiting. Order up and out they came. We sat at the tables on the street and people watched. They were huge, and nice - sandwiches not tables. We both decided that half was enough now so asked for a bag for the other halves to eat on the train. Even had them re-wrapped for us. Dropped them back in one of the bags at the hotel and back on the streets.

Eventually found a nice water area and sat and watched the birds and all the locals coming and eating their lunch here. Very pleasant. Then we walked around the lake and into the local street. Some really nice houses with fascinating gardens.

Back to the hotel and retrieved our bags. A short 10 minute walk to the station (bloody cobble stones). Got there in plenty of time but lucky we did. Our train left from platform 26. You had to walk all the way along platform 6 then catch the lift up to street level, along to the next lift and down to platform 26 (reported as 15 minute walk by the information lady we spoke to at the station). The signs said our carriage (number 1) was right up the end - how did I guess that. Up we walk.

Train pulls in. Cleaning happening so not allowed on. No sign of carriage numbers yet either. Eventually they open the doors. We are standing at carriage number 7. Our carriage is back at the other end. Bloody hell. Quick dash down the platform - if you can dash with a bloody big suitcase and a bag attached to that.

Finally made it. On with the first case and try to find the suitcase storage area. Guess what. The other end to where I got on. Stressed a little - much. Got that stored and went back for the other case while Chris got the carry on bags in. All settled in our seats and away we go. Problem is we are facing backwards. Ask if we can move as there are lots of empty seats. Sorry, this carriage will be full. Hmmmm. And yes, it did fill up as we stopped at other stations on the way.

All of a sudden we are crossing on the Oresund bridge - as in the TV show “The Bridge” which goes between Copenhagen and Malmo. Get on the other side of the carriage to have a better view. Unfortunately we are under the road and there are beams all along so the view is disrupted by these cross beams. Bloody long bridge though.

We are now officially in Sweden. The train trip was very relaxing. Fast train but maybe not as fast as some we have done in France and Spain. Still moves well and loved the banked turns.

Got to Stockholm on time. NFI where we are meant to go for our hotel. Followed the Way Out signs to the street. Google maps to the rescue. A 5 minute walk to our hotel. Checked in and up to our room. Penthouse tonight - well at least top floor. Room is fine - basic but fine.

Downstairs for a bite. Decided we didn’t want lots so had a charcuterie board. Very nice. Now to move on with the Swedish part of our holiday. Hire car tomorrow and into the country side.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb