Malmo Malmo Malmo F-F-F!


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Skåne County » Malmö
July 17th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast food: The breakfast food in Sweden is very interesting to say the least. I think the most unusual was the caviar in the tube. As disgusting as this may sound to some of you, it was very good and came in many different flavors (straight caviar, caviar and cheese, and many more). The tubes look like giant tubes of toothpaste. I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was with a hard-boiled egg. It had all the wonderful saltiness of caviar without the weird texture you usually get. I think it requires refrigeration, otherwise I would bring some home for everyone to try.

Other breakfast foods include Muesli (grains and dried fruit) and yogurt thin enough to be a yogurt smoothie, meat paste (pate), and assorted jams, meats, breads, and cheeses. The Musli and yogurt was probably my favorite new food I have tried over here. It looked it was one of Olivia’s favorites as well. While all of these foods were delicious and for the most part good for me, I believe Pancetta and cheese sandwiches are still my favorite morning food. I must thank Tio Manolo for introducing me to these the next time

Turning Torso: We went for a long walk this morning and afternoon. A good chance to work off some of the beers we have been having. We walked over to the Turning Torso area and got a look at some of the more modern architecture in the city. Evidently much of the buildings here were built for an expo held in Malmo in 2001. At 50 stories, the Torso is the tallest building in all of Sweden, and can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. I think the next tallest building in the country is about 20-30 stories. It is not usual for the area to say the least. From the pictures I think you can see why they call it the “Turning Torso”. Vicki got a little dizzy when we were looking up from the base. I don’t think we would be living in that building anytime soon…..

Picnic before the game: We had a delicious picnic before the game. It was much like tailgating, except that you are actually allowed to drink beer in the open. We enjoyed a roasted chicken, potato salad, tomatoes, smoked ham, bread, and of course beer.

The park we were in was very interesting. Over the years the trees have been trimmed back so that there appears to be 50-foot walls on either side of the walkways. The center field is about the size of a Cricket field. Johan says that this area is filled a couple of times a week when an instructor in the center of the field offers free aerobic classes with a loud speaker. These aerobic sessions are always full - people here are very into exercise.

On a side note: Kirki, get a good look b/c this is the only time you will see me wear these colors (sky blue and white)……

The game: Unfortunately Malmo FF did not win the game, but it was still an experience I will always remember. The energy of the supporter groups on the far side of the stadium was amazing. They stood (they have no choice since there are no seats in their section), jumped, sang, and beat their drums the entire game. That is two forty-five minute halves for those of you who don’t know soccer that well.

The fans of the opposing team got a police escort to the game from the train station. I think it was for the protection of property in Malmo as much as their protection. Then in the game they were all relegated to one section behind one of the goals. This section is blocked off from the rest of the stadium by security glass (basically looked like the glass behind a hockey goal). I think their section even had a separate entrance.

The celebration performed after Malmo scored was very interesting. The fans make it look like the stands are on fire, but it is simply flares surrounded by the banners and flags waved by the supporters during the game. The opposing fans were much quieter after the home team scored. They were no longer chanting “Malmo. Shhhh. Shhhh.”. They were now the ones being quiet.

After the game: We made a quick stop by home, where Charlotte had made some pickled herring sandwiches. As many of you know I will try any food once. Despite the apprehension I may have had b/c of the idea of pickling any meat, the sandwiches were delicious. This is definitely a Swedish dish I would have again. Between this and the other foods I have eaten
Very Cool Drainage SystemVery Cool Drainage SystemVery Cool Drainage System

Practical AND artistic!
in Sweden, I don’t think I would go hungry here any time soon!

After the sandwiches we went down to some of the bars in the town center. Finally, I got to see nighttime in this part of the world. Until now, I still wasn’t sure if it ever got dark here during the summer. It was a strange feeling to be sitting under a heat lamp in the middle of July, but it does get quite chilly here in the evening. Unfortunately, or perhaps it was for the better, the good bars closed around 2:00 in the morning. They would have stayed open later, but it was a Tuesday night. Our only option after this was a bar with a DJ playing trance music so loud that I thought our glasses would break. After a beer here, we decided to save our ears and pack it in for the night.








Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Speed Bumps AheadSpeed Bumps Ahead
Speed Bumps Ahead

Do you really have to ask why we took this picture?
Outside Malmo's Football StadiumOutside Malmo's Football Stadium
Outside Malmo's Football Stadium

Lots of people ride their bikes to the games.
Where the Opposing Fans SitWhere the Opposing Fans Sit
Where the Opposing Fans Sit

Shall we say, spartan accommodations?
Malmo Scores!Malmo Scores!
Malmo Scores!

And the fans go wild -- lighting a Bengal fire in the stands.


17th July 2007

Have fun.
Hey guys I just wanted you to know that I have been keeping up with your travels. It looks like you are having a great time. Take care.
18th July 2007

So great having you here, we´ll miss you ! Olivia will be asking for her "Sett" and "Vickan". See you on Saturday ! (Heeeejja Malmöööe !!) /Charlotte

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb