Oland


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Kalmar County
May 30th 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday was a beautifull sunny day, but it was too windy again for the boat. So the next on " must see" list was Oland, the long island along south-east coast near Kalmar. It is quite long, 160 km. but relatively narrow. Many Swedish go there camping during summer, it is popular among bird watchers, good place for long walks and bike rides.
We decided to go visit only southern part of the island with famous grassy areas called Alvar Plains, where during May are they are covered by certain kind of local orchids. We were late for orchids, buy the fields were still covered with other blooming flowers.
The island has been inhabited for thousands of years and we could still see many old stone structures, graves, windmills and interesting farm buildings and fences built from local flat stone. One of the most interesting places to visit was Eketorp Fort, the reconstruction of the old fort with old medievial farm buidings. There were even walking pigs around and people dressed in original costumes from middle ages. We had so much fun with Ania imagining how different live was back then. Ania had a chance to make her own talisman from tin, with, of course, help from the men dressed in old costume. She tried her lack in archery, and other games prepared for the tourists. I dressed myself a little, and I was surprised how heavy those helmets were.
After Eketorp we took a look at very windy east side of the island which is open to Baltic sea and came back home.
Sorry no photos again, but as soon as I will be able to reach a decent computer I will put them on, so stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb