Malaga


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
May 1st 2005
Published: May 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Malaga
On the train to Malaga , John and I were separated because only one seat assignment on our reservation for two. I sat across from a Spanish woman. Her husband and their newly made friends were across the aisle. Through sign language, my limited command of the Spanish language and her lack of understanding of English we managed to carry on a nice little conversation. I was able to find she had two children and three grandchildren, their ages and names. That she lived in Madrid but going on vacation to Malaga, that the one gentleman had visited NYC , California and Nevada. He told me that Malaga was a lot like Carmel by the Sea. Of course his other interpretation, was of Tennessee- Jack Daniels, Dolly Parton and bare feet. After which I felt as little self conscious since I was in a skirt but with flip flops on and they were dressed very nice. I learned a little of each of their personalities and understood some of their conversations. I told the one mans son his father was a jokester, and they all laughed and said I was muy inteligente! It was very exciting for me to interact, to laugh and talk with the local people. She even hugged me goodbye and wished me Bien Viage!
Upon our arrival in Malaga we were told the port was an easy 15-minute walk so we headed off. What those people didn’t take into account, were our three heavy pieces of luggage and blisters on our feet. In fact the walk was more like 40 minutes. But what a great feeling, when we saw our beautiful ship awaiting us. Unlike the last cruise we, we were able to board easily. We were greeted with a glass of champagne while we were to fill out our embarkation forms etc. in a beautifully decorated lounge. Then we were taken to our room. Our room is spacey and beautiful, with everything one needs. Overall this ship is so much classier. While this was going on so was the lifeboat drill. This drill was so much nicer, small group held inside the lobby and relaxed.
After exploring the ship a little and finding it to be fantastic, we went into Malaga. It is a very lovely port city, much more beautiful than expected or first perceived. Being who we are we strolled leisurely through a park which opened up to a tiled, plane tree lined wide boulevard, that smelled of jasmine. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the promenade, children skipping, elderly women walking arm in arm, gentleman talking on the benches, surrounded by flowers. The jasmine trees are intoxicating, and geranium blooming in profusion of color, flowers I have never seen as well as ones in my own gardens, just growing much larger. In the distance we could see people on a lookout of a fort atop a very large hill. We climbed the whole thing to be rewarded by spectacular views of the sea and the town below. From the lookout, one could see right down into a bullring set in the center of town and formal garden rooms, one after another. After climbing back down, we ventured to the other side of the fort, to find the ruins of a roman theatre. Sitting across from the ruins and had our first sangria in Spain, and watched with wonder the people go by... imaging who they are, what they love, where they are going and how are the same or different than us.
Today and yesterday we witnessed four wedding parties. Dressing is very high on their list here and for weddings they go all out. The Cars are even adorned with tulle bows on the doors.
Back on the ship we had the most pleasant surprise of all, dinner in the main dining room. The ambience, the service and the presentation of the food all equaled the flavor. We could have been dining at Roy’s in Hawaii or By the Tracks Bistro at home. We have found our cruise line. The people on board are sophisticated and well traveled, well dresses and polite. Everything about it feels like the luxury and familiarity of what we enjoy, mixed with the adventure of the ports of Europe. Tomorrow we arrive in Morocco -Africa!!
When we sat down to toast our first sailing on Windstar we were treated to little tea sandwiches of fresh seafood and veggies. The stewards are very friendly and somehow learn your name immediately.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb