god's architect


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
August 10th 2013
Published: August 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

the choice was between do we go north into germany or south to spain + we weren’t disappointed by our decision to head south to barcelona + the wonders of gaudi architecture and the incredible man he was. nicknamed ‘god’s architect’, he devoted his entire life to his passion + profession of weaving together architecture, nature + religion.

he only fell in love once to a teacher named josefa moreu but this love was unreciprocated + so he devoted the rest of his life to his passion for his work. later in life he lived a very frugal lifestyle, eating very seldom, dressing in old worn out suits to the extent that he was often mistaken for a beggar. on the day of his death gaudi was taking his daily walk to the church when he was struck by a passing tram + left unconscious by the road. assumed to be a beggar because of his shabby clothing, the unconscious gaudí did not receive immediate aid. eventually he was taken to hospital by a passing policeman in a taxi where he received very basic care.by the time that the chaplain of the sagrada família recognised him on the following day, gaudí's condition had deteriorated too severely to benefit from additional treatment. gaudí died on 10 june 1926 at the age of 73 and was buried two days later. a large crowd gathered to bid him farewell.

sagrada família is his lasting legacy and is still being finished as we speak. art critic rainer zerbst put it well when he said “it is probably impossible to find a church building anything like it in the entire history of art.” it is an epic project that only someone with the passion, courage and vision of gaudi would even attempt. building commenced in 1882 + it was only quarter built by gaudi’s death in 1926. it now has a completion date of 2026, a centennial of gaudi’s death. it is stunning. it can only be described by being present, photos can’t explain + neither can words, it is a must see for any traveler.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb