181111


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
November 19th 2011
Published: November 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

18th November
We had another week of rain and decided to head down towards the Algarve to try and fide some sun. We stopped at a few places along the way....
Sines - lovely view of the beach (and also the power station) and we woke up to see lots of crested larks hopping around outside the van.
Vila Nova de Milfontes - where we managed go for a walk along the coast between showers.
Boca del Rio - deserted beach, Phil went for a ride on his mountain bike between showers and came back VERY muddy.
Monta Rota - Sun came out hurrah! Miles of beach, a long walk along the sand and then we both went swimming in the sea, I didn't last for more than five minutes as it was a bit cold!
We missed out a large chunk of the Algarve as we headed inland to look at Silves which we didn't actually find that attractive. It was sometime in this week that we realised that Portugal was on the same time as the UK and we had been an hour out ever since arriving in Portugal!
Back into Spain and Punta Umbria - a lovely area but not motorhome friendly, with height bars and 'No Motorhome' signs everywhere.
We drove up to Aracena a pretty town with castle ruins and some caves we had a look around the castle but we decided to give the caves a miss.
Stayed overnight at the lakes in the Parque Natural de la Sierra de Aracena, a beautiful place and so peaceful when the rain wasn't pounding on the roof. Loads of birds including storks and the following morning we saw a great kettle ( I looked this one up!) of Griffin Vultures about 150 of them, amazing.
Next stop was El Bosque where Phil wanted to fly but he wasn't too happy with the undulating landing field. So we had a look around the botanical garden which was much bigger than I expected and promises to be beautiful in the spring and summer, then on to Algodonales.
Yesterday Phil met up with an old hang gliding friend, Frans and they went off up the hill to fly together. Unfortunately, before Phil launched, Frans crashed on take off and had to be airlifted off with a broken arm. So no flying for Phil and not a good day.

19th November
Happy Birthday Bessie!!!!
We spent the day yesterday emptying the van to air as much as possible because everything was begining to feel a bit damp.
Pouring with rain again today......... ho hum!
Photos to follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb