Malaga, Spain January 11, 2011


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

January 11, 2011

Malaga, Spain

We arrived in Malaga today. Our first stop was Giblralto Fortress. This is an old castle that was built in the 14th Century, it was cool to look at, all the old stone, many steps, thin passage ways, areas with grass and flowers, the circular dome places where the archers used to stand when protecting the castle. We walked on this thin walkway that was high up that had the columns that archers would stand beside, below and duck in between. The entryway to the inside of the castle was inside the barrier walls, you would walk down this stone staircase with large step, and some were double or triple the size of what we would call a normal step. At the bottom of the steps was a dark alley with a gigantic arch that led to the entrance. We didn’t get to go inside the entrance to the castle but we did get to walk around the fortress. The tour guide today spoke in both English and German and he was a bit forceful, controlling, and militant in his guiding. He disciplined at our group numerous times, we weren’t doing anything wrong he just wanted us all to stand by him the whole time and listen to him, but we wanted to see, to take pictures. Students wanted to stand in the archway and get their camera’s out and film things like, “I’m standing in the hallway of Gibralto Fortress here in Malaga, Spain… etc.” He just wouldn’t have it. Least favorite tour guide so far.

After the castle we went to the “Malagueta” the seventh bull-fighting ring in Malaga. It was interesting to see what a real bull-fighting ring looks like. There was not a fight and we didn’t see any bulls but to see it first hand really helps you feel a little more of the culture. There was a little museum, about 3 rooms and there were many pictures of bullfights, one picture in particular showed a bull actually jumping in the audience! SOOOO glad we were there! We also got to see clothes that the bullfighters wear; it is interesting how ornate the outfits were created. Here we did have enough time for the students to get themselves on camera for their videos.

On the way to our final stop we got off the bus and walked past their cathedral, of course an exquisite building. We had a few minutes so the coffee lovers found a café and got some café con leche, (something that is hard to find on the boat), others bought postcards and took pictures of the square we were in.

The last stop was definitely our favorite. What I liked the most about today was that we really got a true taste of the culture, not jus the American’s expectation. We went to a local studio to see a flamenco show. It was in an intimate setting, just a room with a small stage, probably 8 X12 and then tables in a on three sides of the stage. There was one guitar player who was ridiculous! What an amazingly talented player. Then there was a girl who sang and a man sitting next to her, who somewhat resembled my brother-in-law when he used to have long hair. The guitar player began and then the lady and the man began clapping along, first establishing a simple rhythm then they began tapping their feet and each had their own rhythm going on why the guitar player continued his song. Eventually the lady began singing, she had a clear, powerful voice, and somewhat wailing at times, and then the flamenco dancer came out with a fan and did a dance. She had grace, intensity, poise, and beauty. What I noticed, as did a lot of the students, once the dancer came out, the guitar player, singer and clapper all watched the feet off the dancer. They took the cues of the rhythm off the dancer. Unlike if a band is playing and the percussion keeps the beat and the guitar and singers keep to the rhythm the drummer creates, here the dancer defines the rhythm and the others must follow her. At the end of her first dance was a song with no dancing, then the man, who had changed into red flamenco shoes came out to dance, and WOW, WOW, WOW! Is what all of us said. He was so good, so intense, so manly, so strong, his feet moved so fast that you almost couldn’t quite comprehend how he was able to move his feet, knees, while making movements with his hands. He had two dance numbers, both of them phenomenal! Then all four of them were sitting down, they had a number with no dancing, just singing, most likely to give the male a break! The last big number was the male and female together. The girl had little seashell clappers that she used while she was dancing. Talk about coordination! Amazing! Their dance was passionate, one of those I love you, I hate you, types of dances and of course together they were fantastic! At the end all four got up and the singer did a quick step and we all applauded loudly. We were barley done clapping and our crazy tour guide scream, “everybody up, follow me.” As we walked away all the students (boys included) couldn’t stop talking about how awesome it was and how we all wanted to learn to Flamenco when we get back to Boca. If anyone knows of a great studio in south Florida pass the word along!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb