Continuation trip to spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
February 13th 2004
Published: February 13th 2004
Edit Blog Post


Friday 05/09/2003:

 

After the breakfast, the tour started with a panoramic view of Seville. We passed through the area reserved for the 1929 exposition and we saw the Pabellon de Colombia, Morocco, Chile, Brazil, Guatemala, Cuba and Santo Domingo.

Afterwards, we visited the Parque de Maria Luisa. In 1893 the Infante Maria Luisa donated half of the gardens of the palace of Saint Telmo to the city of Seville. In 1929 the French architect Forestier created in the gardens one of a series of works of beautification of the world exposition that was celebrated during this same year.  The Park of Maria Luisa houses in its interior beautiful Plazas such as the Plaza of Americas also called the Plaza of the doves due to the abundance of these birds.

Then we took a look at Plaza D’ Espana where the Infante Maria Christina daughter of King Juan Carlos celebrated its wedding.  It is a cloistered two hundred meter building. Brick is the dominated material with the principal ornamental element being ceramics.

After that we went to the Jardins de Murilio, to the Santa Cruz Quarter or the Barrio de Santa Cruz, which is a labyrinth of narrow streets to reach finally the cathedral of Seville walking through narrow streets of white houses with balconies decorated with beautiful flowers.  

 

 

The Cathedral history began in 1184-1198 when the main Mosque was built including the minaret. Still visible today are the patio de Los Naranjos and the lower two thirds of the minaret built with brick known as the Giralda. In 1248-1401 the Mosque became a Christian cathedral. The total surface of the cathedral is 23,500 square meters and its is of Gothic construction  

Inside the cathedral there is the Tomb of Christopher Columbus who was buried for more than 5 times!!!!!

 

After the cathedral tour we decided to take the optional tour of the Boat Trip on the Guadalquivir River from Torre Del Oro.

The Torre Del Oro golden tower was one of the last contributions from the Almohade period in Seville. It formed part of the last wall of defence that ran from the Alcazar to the river. It’s believed that the tower was given its name because of the sun’s reflection of the gold tiles that once covered the dome. The tower has twelve sides. Today it is a naval museum with engravings letters and navigation instruments.   

The ticket was 15 Euro for each with a guide explaining in different languages what are the monuments awe are passing by. We crossed under several bridges each different in its structure and design. Some of these bridges are Puento Del Alamillo,  Puento de la Barquetta, Puento de Triana, amd Puento de  Generalissimo.

 

After the boat trip ended we started our exploration of Seville alone from Torre Del Oro.  We went to the Alcazar and we bought a ticket of 5 Euro for each.

In the year 931, Abdurrahman ordered the construction of this fortified palace. The alcazar is made up of a group of palaces which form the most important example of Sevillian civil architecture. In its interior the outstanding palace grounds gardens and service quarters are spread throughout areas enclosed by walls on the south side of the old west of Seville.

Rather than homogonous architecture the palace consists of an intimate atmosphere created by Muslim artistic elements enter twined with others from the Gothic Renaissance and Baroque periods. The most striking contribution by Pedro I was the reconstruction of the older part of the Abbadi Alcazar as well as some of the previous palace.

 

After these tiring walking tours we ate ice cream near the cathedral and we decided to go walking to the hotel asking the people direction in Spanish. We passed by Sierpes street (a pedestrian street full of stores) but unfortunately it was closed for the siesta !!!

 

After a little rest in the hotel we went to Los Arcos Mall,  a complex with restaurants, cinemas, supermarkets and Toys are Us chain store where we enjoyed being kids again and played with the several kinds of toys.

 

After the mall we had dinner in the hotel.

 

 
[p class=MsoNormal style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: kashida; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify; TEXT-KASHIDA: 0%"]Saturday 06/09/2003:

 

We woke up early this day to take our luggage out and had our breakfast 8:30.

 

At 9 O’clock we drove south via the picturesque towns to Ronda. The distance was only 2 hours but two hours of contemplating the countryside, the cotton fields, the sunflowers and the olive trees.  

Situated in the far northwest of the province of Malaga Ronda sits on an outcrop of rock in a basin surrounded by mountain ranges, the height and length of which make access to the town difficult. This fact together with the climate, hydrology and geology of the area left an indelible stamp on its history.

Ronda is one of the oldest towns in Spain and has its origins in prehistory. The cave of Pileta a true relic of Andalusian Stone Age art is one of the most significant remains of this period together with various groups of megalithic monuments such as the Dolmo of the Chopo (Poplar). Scattered around the province one finds various remains from the Roman period the most important being the archeological sit of the Roman town of Acinipo. Nevertheless, the most striking aspect of the cultural of Ronda and its surrounding is Arabic. Under Muslim rule the town rose to importance as the capital of one of the five coras of Andalusia. This influence has impregnated the style of building the gastronomy, agricultural practices and many other traditions in the region.

The conquest of the town by the Catholic kings in 1485 was followed by a period of cultural and structural reorganization but it is in the 18th century that the city becomes clear in the general context of Andalusia. It was during this period that the most significant and emblematic monuments of Ronda were built the new bridge and the bullring.

The romantic image of the town was forged without doubt during the 19th century with banditry and bullfighting making a strong impression on the minds of distinguished travelers. These two aspects have since became symbolic of the culture and traditions of the area nevertheless, Ronda has a wealth of culture and tradition which goes beyond this over simplified image and it is this diversity on which the present day attraction of the town and the Serrania is based.  In Ronda there are still remains of some Arab baths. Also, there is Plaza de Toros which is recognized as one of the oldest and most monumental bullring and was opened in 1785.

The most beautiful monument in Ronda is the Puente Nuevo new bridge built at the end of the 18th century on the river Guadalevin. It is the real symbol of the city.

 

We completed a Panoramic Tour by ourselves. We  walked a little,  did some shopping,  and   I took a photo with a girl dressed in Flamingo because there was a festival in this town during our presence and there was am atmosphere of fiesta in the air.  We had Lunch in a typical Spanish restaurant and discusses with the Italian group and the American ladies about Lebanon.

After the Lunch we continued to Torremolinos (from Ronda to Torremolinos 1.5 hours). On the road we entered the province of  Malaga.

 

The origins of the city of Malaga date back to the Phoenicians and the Greeks. Malaga developed its trade under the Jews and the Syrians traders. Malaga became very prosperous during the Arab rule. It became the main port to the kingdom of Granada. In 1487 was conquered by the Catholic monarchs. Costa Del Sol is the name given to the 300 kms of Mediterranean coastline of the province of Malaga. Of historic and tourist interest are the towns of Estepona, Fuengirola, Marbella, Mijas, Ronda, and Torremolinos.  
[p class=MsoNormal style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: kashida; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify; TEXT-KASHIDA: 0%"] 

We arrived at San Fermin hotel at 4 o’clock.  San Fermin in Torremolinos- Benalmadena is just 800 m away from the sandy beaches. It is located on a hill and we were a bit tired from going up and down.

 

It was very hot so we changed our clothes and we went to the Puerto Marina which is a marina similar to Cannes, full of yachts and luxury. We walked through the sandy wonderful beaches.   We entered in an internet café to check our mails.

Then we went to a candy store and we bought a lot of jelly candy.   At dinner in the hotel I ate the Paella for the first time and it was delicious.

The was no Television in the room and we got bored a little so we looked in the brochures in the reception and decided to go to Tivoli Park by Taxi. We had an amazing adventure riding in the teleferico, and I was very afraid of the dark surrounding us because we went up from the beach to the peak of the mountain and we were above the circular motorway.

 

 

 

Sunday 07/09/2003:

 

After a quick breakfast we had some time free time to swim   but we decided to walk along the sandy beaches barefoot. After this walk in the sun I had a headache probably from the heat. We departed to Granada at 12 O’clock and the distance was only for 3 hours.

 

After the fall of the Umayyad Caliphate of Cordoba came the reign of the Zaries of Granada and at the end of the 11th century the Almoravids took control of this kingdom which would be later be taken by Almohads. This area would be the last region in the Iberian Peninsula to be under Muslim rule. Granada developed into a large and rich city with several Mosques and palaces such as the Alhambra. The Alhambra is the most important Muslim palace remaining today and the Generalife which was the Royal family’s summer residence.

 

Luna Arabial Hotel in Granada is situated near the big shopping centers of Granada. It has direct access to the circunvalacion the ring motorway of the town. El Corte Ingles and Hypercor mall complex were facing the hotel.   

After we put our luggage in the room, we took a Taxi to the center near the cathedral and we took the bus turistico my favorite way to discover a city. There are 2 kinds of buses in Granada. A big one and a smaller one called Romantico. The first route in the big bus was the following:  Palacio de Congresso- Parque de la Ciencas- Museo Frederico Lorca- Campus Universitario- Hospital Real- Monasterio de la Cartuja- Cathedral- Alhambra- Acera de Darro.   The smaller Microbus turistico took us from Alhambra- Plaza Nueva- Palacio de Los Cordova- Albaicin ( the Arab Quarter) which is declared a national heritage by the UNESCO and Sacromonte ( the Gypsy Quarter) which is very very narrow and in some case even a mini car cannot pass.

 

 

We had Dinner in 4 stars hotel linked to our hotel and during the dinner a Spanish band dressed in traditional Spanish clothe came and singed traditional Spanish songs such as Eh Viva Espana.

 

 

Monday 08/09/2003:

 

 

We packed our luggage and had our Breakfast at 7:30 preparing ourselves for the early visit to Alhambra.

 

Almost unrivalled for beauty and architectural splendor, the entire city has been declared a national monument. It lies at the foot of Spain’s mightiest massif, the Sierra Nevada, and on the edge of an extraordinarily fertile plain. A provincial capital with a university and archiepiscopal see, the city is divided by the Darro which runs underground in the city centre. On the right lies Albaicín, the city’s oldest quarter; on the left rises the imposing Alhambra. To the south the city is bordered by the Río Genil into which the Darro flows. This fertile area was already settled in the 5th Century BC and was known as Iliberis in Roman times. The city was founded under the Visigoths, whose domination ended with the Arab victory in 711. 'Elvira' (Granada was just a nearby settlement) was ruled by a viceroy dependent upon Cordoba until the fall of the Caliphate in Cordoba in 1031. During the next two centuries Granada was ruled by the Berber dynasty of the Almoravides and then Berber Almohades, until the first Nasrite king, Mohammed I, established a kingdom in 1241. After the capture of Cordoba by the Christian armies in 1236 the town increased in importance, reaching its brilliant zenith under the rule of the Moorish Nasrites, who were tolerated by the Castilian kings. It was the only surviving bastion of Islam in Spain until the last king of Granada had to relinquish the city to Ferdinand and Isabella at the treaty of Santa Fé in 1491. The famous haumanist Diego Hurtado de Mendoza (1503-75), who was born in Granada, described the capture of the town. In the same way that the Alhambra palace was built during the Nasrite dynasty and a lively cultural environment was able to develop in the densely populated and wealthy city, so too were the new Spanish powers able to enrich Granada with splendid Renaissance and baroque buildings. However, from 1570, following the expulsion of the Moors who had rebelled against the repressive measures of Philip II, the economical and historical importance of Granada declined. Vital irrigation systems which were destroyed at the time were not rebuilt until the 20th century. In the 17th century the versatile Granada-born artist, Alonso Cano, who was a painter, sculptor and architect, made an important contribution to the appearance of the town. His buildings were of a stylistic importance which reached beyond the confines of Granada itself. The sculptor Pedro de Mena, who was also born in Granada was Cano´s pupil.

 

A Tour of the A l h a m b r a

A complex on the high plateau, the Cerro Del Sol, which overlooks the town to the south east,  it includes the superb palace of Granada´s Moorish kings, which was principally under the Nasrite rulers Yusuf I (1333-54) and Mohammed V (1354-91).

Massive towers and gates surround the palace complex emphasizing its fortress-like character; there are also ring walls and the remains of the Alcazaba. The latter was built by Mohammed V in 1238 in a shimmering red stone, which led to the description 'Calat Alhambra' (Red Castle). From the top of the Torre de la Vela, which is 29 meters (87 ft.) high, you get a panoramic view over the Sierra Nevada.

The road up into the Alhambra Park passes through the Puerta de las Granadas, a triumphal arch decorated with three pomegranates, and designed by Pedro Machuca. To the right, on Monte Mauror, the 12th century Torres Bermejas can be seen; this is part of the fortification linking with the Alcazaba. Walking through the wood you come to the Puerta de la Justicia, built by Yusus I in 1348. Above the gate’s first horseshoe arch there is a carved hand to symbolize defence against evil. The second horseshoe arch is decorated with many Arab inscriptions. There are beautiful blue and green azulejos. After four right-angled bends (for reasons of defence), you come to the entrance to the Alhambra Palace itself. Nearby the Renaissance fountain (1545) dates from the time of Charles V and is the work of Pedro Machuca. The 14th century Puerta Del Vino leads to the Plaza de los Aljibes (square of wells).

The 'Gate of Wine' displays the Nasrites´ artistic style to great advantage. To the west of the square there are the former buildings of the Alcazaba; to the east there is the Palace of Charles V and to the north the Palacio Arab (the Alhambra Palace).

The Alcazaba is enclosed by ramparts; several of its towers survive. The Torre de la Vela is the most significant one, dominating a magnificent panorama of the city and surrounding areas. Also of interest are the Torre Del Homenaje (Keep), Torre Quebrada and Torre Del Adarguero. Puerta de la Tahona,in the tower of the same name, affords access to the Royal palaces.

The Mexuar palace was originally given over to administrative and judicial affairs; and the Royal Council used to meet here. Although now in a deficient state of repair, the main section is a hall centered around four columns and a modern fountain; this was used as a chapel from the 18th century until the 20th. The north facade serves as a portico for the Cuarto Dorado ('Golden Room'). The facade on the other side of the Mexuar is called the Serrallo front, its artistic eaves are remarkable. After the Serrallo facade, the visitor will reach the Patio de los Arrayanes ('Court of Myrtles'), also known as Patio de la Alberca, Del Estanque or de los Mirtos, with a magnificent pool in the centre. Its arches are semicircular, with a voussoired structure. Special mention should be made of the wooden ceiling in the north gallery and the alabaster lamp-stands, with ceramics at the back, located in the jambs of the doorway.

The Sala de la Barca is between the portico and the Throne Room; its name derives from the inverted hull of a boat that adorns the ceiling. The Salón de Embajadores ('Ambassadors´ Hall'), also known as de Comares, is next, this was the centre of political and diplomatic life.

Although it was once superbly decorated, it now retains only its artistic architectural design. Continuing towrads the baths, the visitor will reach the Patio de la Reja ('Court of the Ruling') with its fountain and cypress trees. Next to it is the Jardín de Lindaja ('Lindaraxa´s Garden'), which does not correspond to the Moorish period, but dates from the 16th century. It was designed to embellish the courtyard onto which Charles V´s room gave. A post-Reconquest fountain, with an Arab basin, stands in the centre. The Baños Reales ('Royal Baths') are next to Lindaraxa´s Garden. They display polychromatic decoration, predominately blue, green, gold and red in the main room, where there is also a small 16th century fountain. The Royal Baths comprise three further sections.

The Tocador de la Reina ('Queen´s Boudoir') is between the Ambassadors´Hall and the Harem. This room was built for the Empress Isabella and displays outstanding fresco paintings on the walls. By the door to one of the Emperor´s rooms there is a tablet recalling that Washington Irving, the author of The Alhambra, stayed there.

The artistically decorated Sala de los Ajimeces ('Hall of Mullioned Windows') id the first of the rooms making up the Harem, its ceiling was restored in the 16th century. The Sala de las Dos Hermanas ('Hall of the Two Sisters') is beyond 'Lindaraxa´s Balcony', Boabdil´s mother lived here after being repudiated by Muley Hacén. The decoration is superb, and the dome, of harmonious proportions.

The name of the Patio de los Leones ('Court of Lions') is due to the twelve figures of lions supporting the fountain in the centre. This rectangular courtyard, built in the reign of Mohammed V, is surrounded by a gallery supported by 124 elegant white marble columns.

The Sala de los Reyes, also called de la Justicia ('Hall of Kings/Justice'), lies to the east of the Court of Lions. It was a Christian church from the time that the Royal Mosque disappeared until the construction of the church of Santa María de la Alhambra, and is adorned by a painting of ten Moorish kings assembled in a meeting. The Sala de los Abencerrajes ('Hall of the Abencerrages') is another important room, it seems that all the children of Muley Abul Hassan were executed here when he married Zoraida.

The last room in the Harem is the Sala de los Mocárabes (mocárabe - carpenter´s design of interlaced prisms), which now display baroque decoration on the ceiling.

 

The tour ended at 11 O’clock and we changed our Pullman and our guide and departed to Valencia.  We had now another guide named Mary Lo and a new driver and some new persons in the group. It was a long distance of 540 km. This would take around 8 hours via Alicante, the Levante and Murcia. We passed by the resorts of Benidorm and Costa Blanca.

 

Valencia is the third largest city in Spain. Valencia is the capital of the region of the same name on the east coast of central Spain. It's the country's third biggest city and although it boasts many great historic, cultural and modern visitor attractions this is one of the least tourist-orientated cities to be found in the whole of the Iberian Peninsula. The outskirts consist of an unimpressive collection of modern, sprawling and industrialized areas but the historic heart of Valencia is very beautiful and still very Spanish, almost untouched by mass tourism. This is the home of paella, one of the most spectacular fiestas in Spain and (reputedly) the Holy Grail from which Jesus drank at the Last Supper.

 

The state-of-the-art centre was conceived as one of Europe's most imaginative Millennium projects and consists of four main buildings occupying 90 acres of land next to the dry bed of the River Turia. Together the buildings look like something out of a James Bond movie set. There's a wonderful inter-active science museum, the "Hemisferic" planetarium where you can make a virtual trip through space, an oceanarium consisting of an underwater city which recreates the habitats of all the world's oceans and the Palace of Arts, equipped with all the latest technology to support performances of theatre, opera and music. A rather more ancient attraction is the sacred chalice, reputed to be the Holy Grail, housed in the Sala Capitular of the city's beautiful Gothic cathedral. The relic, said to have held the blood of Jesus Christ, is Christianity's most holy prize. Its authenticity is, unsurprisingly, a matter of hot dispute.

The ancient and modern are combined in Valencia's annual "Fallas" celebration when the city becomes a spectacular ball of flame as hundreds of papier mache figures are set on fire to commemorate the feast of San Jose on March 19th. It's one of Europe's biggest and most extraordinary festivals, noisy, exuberant and at times downright dangerous!

In 1961, Hollywood heart throbs Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren put Valencia firmly on the world map with the lavish epic movie El Cid which told the story of how Spain's greatest ever warrior recaptured the city from the Moorish invaders in the 11th century

Whatever your opinion of the Holy Grail (Christianity's most sacred treasure) the imposing cathedral itself is worth a visit. It houses the city's oldest museum, founded in 1761, which contains priceless collections of religious artefacts, silver and paintings including works by the Spanish master Francisco de Goya. Pop along to the cathedral's Puerta de los Apostoles (Door of the Apostles) on a Thursday morning and you'll be able to witness an ancient system of justice known as the Tribunal de las Aguas. The tribunal's judges have been meeting since the 13th century when Jaime I set up this regulatory body designed to control the distribution of water from the River Turia. Climb the spiral staircase of the cathedral's bell tower for the most spectacular views of the city (not recommended for the elderly or infirm as there are 207 steps.)

 

 

The city's newest tourist attraction is the futuristic Arts and Science Centre by the side of the dry riverbed of the Turia. The complex is made up of four of the most extraordinary examples of avant-garde architecture in the world. It includes a science museum with inter-active exhibits which keep both children and adults happy for hours. There's the "Hemesferic" planetarium where you can take a virtual tour through space and the oceanarium which is one of the biggest and best of its kind in Europe - a spectacular underwater city representing the marine life of all the world's oceans.

One of the river bed's many other attractions is the Parque de Gulliver which is a must if you're visiting with children. A giant recreation of Jonathan Swift's Gulliver provides a wonderfully imaginative playground of climbing frames and slides which will Delight the kids for hours (free of charge!).

Valencia has a huge number of museums and art galleries including the Institute of Modern Art which boasts one of the country's most important collections of contemporary work. The 16th century Palacio Del Marques de Dos Aguas, in Poeta Querol, is one of Spain's most beautiful palaces and houses the impressive National Ceramics Museum.

 

The Fallas Museum, on the outskirts of the city, is the place to see the prize-winning papier-mache tableaux which have been saved from the flames of the annual Fallas fiesta. Each year one statue is chosen to escape the ritual burning which sees hundreds of beautifully sculpted and painted figures destroyed throughout the city.

 

A visit to the Plaza Del Mercado is a must. Here one can see one of Europe's biggest and most impressive indoor markets and the beautiful 15th century silk market which has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation).

The city's bullring, built in 1850 and still bringing in the crowds today, has seating for 16,000 and is one of the biggest and most beautiful in Spain.

 

Hotel Expo in Valencia is situated in Nuevo Centro the most important business and shopping centre of the city. After we took a room we tried to go out however we did not know the city ie we had no maps and Metro Lines. Therefore we had dinner in MCDo in the Nuevo Centro facing the hotel and slept early.  

 

 

 

 

Tuesday 09/09/2003:

 

After an early breakfast we ran to the city centre by Taxi to take the tourist bus so we can see the most of the city.  We made a panoramic tour of the whole city from Plaza de la Reina using Valencia Bus Turistico. The first bus which will start the day would begin his ride at 10:30 and we waited in the Plaza to take it. We were nervous on the bus hoping we can be in the hotel at 12 o’clock to move to Barcelona.

However, we passed by the tower of Miguelete, Mercado Central, the Lonja, Torres de Quart, Town Hall Ayuntamiento, Teatro principal,  the Bullring, the Palace of the Marquis of dos Agues,  the North Railway Station, the Court, music Palace, City of Arts and Sciences, Palace of Saint Pio V and the  Torres de los Serranos.  

 

We departed to Barcelona Via Reus, Tarragona and Catalunia and arrived to Barcelona after 5 hours.  

 

Barcelona is the capital of Catalunya with 3 million inhabitants,  and 2 hills overlooking the city, Tibidabo and Montjiuc. It was called Barcino under the Romans. Barcelona, located at the Mediterranean sea in the very north of the Spanish coast, is certainly the most cosmopolitan and economically most active city in this country. It has always proved its will to be modern, to follow the latest international tendencies or be ahead of them. To the tourist this is evident especially in its architecture, which so well reflects the general approach to life in this always pulsating city. Of course, Barcelona has an old history, and there are monuments of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance periods or still before, but most characteristic is what has been built during the last, say, 100 years. Barcelona has been a center of Modernist architecture and is distinguished especially by the works of genial Antonio Gaudi who together with his great contemporaries gave new and exciting looks to it, but has remained since then at the top of modernity. If you want to find out which are the very latest tendencies today - go to discover it here.

 

It took us 1 hour to reach the hotel due to the traffic in the Diagonal avenue which similar to the French Champs Elysees. Aragon hotel in Barcelona lies on Aragon Street. The hotel is close to the Sagrada Familia cathedral masterpiece of the architect Antonio Gaudi and one of the most international emblems of the city.  We just put our bags in the hotel and went right away to the metro stations to discover this enchanting Mediterranean city.

 

We decided to go first to the center of Barcelona which is Catalunya square. Also, in Barcelona we used the Metro and our line was the following: Clot- Glories- Marina- Arc de Triumph-Urquinaona- Catalunya.

 

This huge square with its central area peopled with strollers, street musicians, and pigeons. It  is Barcelona’s nerve centre not just because of its shops and financial buildings but because the city’s main thoroughfares radiate from here. These include the world famous Rambla which extends to the sea. Heading down la Rambla on the right one can visit Barcelona famous opera house Teatro de Liceu. Five minutes walk from the square we will find the Palau de la Musica.

 

After taking some pictures in the square we walked trough the Rambla one of the most famous streets in the world.  It was a very charming experience. The street was full of people and one have to handle his bag very well making sure of robbery.

The Rambla is, of course, the best known landmark of Barcelona, and deservedly so. Meandering down from the Plaza de Catalunya to the Columbus statue, filled with newspaper kiosks, flower and animal stalls, and all sorts of artists, it is undoubtedly the place where everyone comes together, both tourists and locals, from the most inconspicuous to the most exaggerated representative of all sorts of urban tribes. This is undoubtedly the most cosmopolitan street of Barcelona, with the greatest diversity of people, passers-by, shoppers, tourists, civil servants, big shots, comedians, street musicians, night-birds, vagrants. The Rambla was originally just a torrent (Rambla comes from the Arabic "ramla", torrent). The plane trees, the most common species of tree in the city (introduced in 1859) stand out in this street. The historical evolution of this street has divided it into five sections, the Ramblas de Canaletes, dels Estudis, de Sant Josep, dels Caputxins and de Santa Mónica.

 

We walked trough Port Vell, the oldest part of Barcelona harbor.  Near the port there is a major leisure complex the Maremagnum with shops, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, bars.

 

Before going to sleep and rest I insisted that on visiting the Sagrada Familia by night to see it illuminated  because we were going the next day to this attraction with the tour so we went there by Metro: Catalunya- Urquinaona- Arc de Triumph- Marina Glories- Clot- Change line- Encants- Sagrada Familia.

 

 

Wednesday 10/09/2003:

 

After the breakfast, our guide and the bus were ready to take us for a panoramic tour of the city. Some of the attractions we saw this day are:

 

Francesc Macia Diagonal:

This square which is named after the former president of the Catalan government is one of the city’s most elegant shopping and business areas. The most famous international brands have their boutiques on this part of the diagonal

 

Passeig de Gracia- La Pedrera:

This boulevard connects the Placa de Catalunya with the old village of Gracia. The district showcases the best modernist buildings for instance,  Gaudi casa Mila known as La Pedrera a wonderful synthesis of technology and imagination.

 

Placa Espana:

Together with the park of Montjiuc were laid out for the 1929 international exhibition. There is an imposing fountain in the centre with its three bronze sculptures representing trade, industry and shipping. The two Venetian towers which flank the Avenida Maria Christina mark the entrance to the trade fair site which is overlooked by the majestic Palau national home to the museum of Catalunya.

 

After we arrived at the wonderful Montjiuc hill we went down to visit the Poble Espanyol which can be summarized as a  walk into the craftsman town. A stop along the way to have a relaxing walk while discovering more than 40 artisan workshops that will offer you art and design pervaded with our culture. Situated at the foot of Mont Montjiuc site of the 1992 Olympic Games, the Poble Espanyol is a watercolor painting which portrays the different peoples and cultures of Spain represented in the forms of streets and squares, monuments and buildings. Built in 1929 on the occasion of the Barcelona international exhibition the Spanish villages is the only initiative of its kind which has survived the test of time.  We admired replica of Plaza Mayor, Galicia, Santiago de Compostela, Andalus quarters, etc.

 

In Montjiuc the Olympic games of 1992 were played and we visited the Olympic village.

Anella Olympica:

The Olympic ring on Montjiuc was the nerve centre of the 1992 games.  We entered to the stadium which hosted the opening and the closing ceremonies and the athletic competition. In addition we admired the Communication tower and finally we made a stop in the Mirador de Montjiuc where we could have a wonderful and breathtaking view of the city, the port and the Sagrada from above.   

 

Going down from Montjiuc we made a tour by bus through the Olympic port and the new marina, the 4 km of beaches and finally we saw the casino.

 

The next stop was the Sagrada Familia:  the construction of this unique temple began in 1882 and one year later Antonio Gaudi was appointed project director. He worked on the projects over 40 years until his death in 1926. The overall plan and his in-depth studies of the project based on the use of geometrical shapes of naturalist style are the cornerstones on which the current architects continue the work to this date. Eight of the twelve bell towers of the facades dedicated to the apostles and having a height exceeding 100 meters are already built. The four belfries awaiting construction are those of the façade of glory, the 170-metre central dome in honor of Jesus Christ, the tower of the Virgin Mary (125 m) and the tower of the Evangelists. The vaults of the main nave are finished and work is focused now on the area of the transepts and the apse. From the every beginning the only financing for building this temple came only from private donations and alms and it continue to be so due to generous donations from the faithful and admirers of the project.  

 

After the church we went on foot to visit the Barri Gothic, the Gothic quarter which was built on the old roman town. Part of the city walls can still be seen today in the basement of the historic museum. At the Barri Gothic our tour ended and we began our race against the clock to continue our visit for Barcelona.

 

We took the Metro from Drassanes- Parallel- Poble Sec- Espanya- Tarragona-Sants Estacio-   Plaza Del Centre- Les Corts- Maria Cristina to reach the Nou Camp Stadium and the Museum of Barcelona FC. However, we walked for about 15 minutes from the Metro station to reach the entrance of the Stadium. We bought tickets fro 5 Euro each to visit the stade and the museum.   

Camp Nou is the biggest stadium in Europe which seats 100,000 people and has been awarded five stars by the UEFA.

At the Museo FC Barcelona consisting of 4 floors and a library one can admire the impressive list of achievements of one of the teams which hold the most sporting titles in world such as the European cup won in the legendary final in Wembley. We had lunch inside the stadium and the club in Pans and Company restaurant.

 

 

We then liked to go back to La Rambla and take a ride in the lift to the top of the mirador de Colon. The ticket was for 2 Euro each but the view from above was so beautiful and we took several photos.

After the mirador we decided to rest and enjoy the scenery by taking a ride in the bus Turistico which is divided into 2 lines and we took all the itinerary of the bus enjoying Barcelona  which is without doubt, one of the nicest and most romantic cities of Europe. Its small streets, shops, the air you breathe, everything invites you to wander around, getting to know every place of this charming area.

 

 

 

Thursday 11/09/2003 :

 

We departed early after the breakfast to Saragossa the Capital city of Aragon and the 5th largest city in Spain with a population of 615,000.   It took us 4 hours to arrive to Saragossa. In Saragossa we had a half an hour free time therefore we took a glimpse on the Maria Del Pillar cathedral and the square surrounding it. We continued our road Via La Almunia De Dona Godina & Calatayud, Guadalajara to reach Madrid after 4 hours.

 

Upon the arrival to Madrid we went to buy one  extra bag and we prepared our luggage ready for the big day tomorrow.

 

Friday 12/09/2003:

 

After the breakfast we decide to make a last walk in Madrid to bid farewell to this Royal city. We visited the temple de Debod  and the Park Del Oeste . The Temple de Debod is built by the pharaoh and donated by the Egyptian government to Spain in gratitude for their cooperation in rescuing the monuments of the valley if Nubia affected by the construction of the Aswan Dam.

 

A 500 black Mercedes picked us up from the hotel at 10:45.

Our departure from Madrid was at 13:20 and we arrived to Athens at 17:55. We took a bus to Downtown Athens where we visited Athens and specifically the Syntagma Street and had dinner in MCDO restaurant. We returned to the airport and our plane was planned to depart at 1:05 but there was a technical failure and we had to wait for about an hour and we reached Beirut at 3 O’clock in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.413s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb