The Big Visit


Advertisement
Europe » Spain
November 25th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I'm sure you've heard the stories by now, I just want to be sure that nothing was left out (there was quite a bit of wine tasting going on here!) *Should anyone be looking for a travel guide in the future, I come highly recommended by the Slupski family and I charge cheap rates - you only have to bring me along! Willing to go at any time! ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ed on top of the Alcazaba, fortress.Ed on top of the Alcazaba, fortress.
Ed on top of the Alcazaba, fortress.

We climbed up to see the view from the top and the sunset of course; but we had to hurry since they were closing it in five minutes.
Isabel the CatholicIsabel the Catholic
Isabel the Catholic

Our hotel, which was first an arab mansion, then a catholic monastery, housing the first burial spot of Isabel (of Isabel and Ferdinand who gave Columbus permission to sail). I am standing right in front of her grave stone.
There was some relaxation on this trip too!There was some relaxation on this trip too!
There was some relaxation on this trip too!

Vivian and Ed resting in the cloister patio of the Parador after a long day of walking through the Alhambra.
Our ParadorOur Parador
Our Parador

We sat out on the Parador’s solarium to admire the summer palace of the Alhambra some more. This is also the view we had from our room.
Turn down serviceTurn down service
Turn down service

It included chocolates, slippers, bathrobes and we even had tea in the room after dinner.
Free AperitifsFree Aperitifs
Free Aperitifs

We sipped manzanilla before dinner at the Parador. Mom & Dad, it’s more like fruit juice than wine really!
The Amazing ShowerThe Amazing Shower
The Amazing Shower

Here we are modeling our bathrobes and pointing out our towel warmer – if anyone wants to buy me a Christmas present, I’d like six shower jets and a towel warmer, please!
On the busOn the bus
On the bus

This was our second drink and snack. I don’t know if you can see it or not but Ed is holding a beer!
Boot of WineBoot of Wine
Boot of Wine

At our first restaurant in Salamanca, we had a private dining room, an excellent 3 course meal – and Vivian even had a boot of wine!
La RanaLa Rana
La Rana

In Salamanca, it is a must to find the “rana” (frog) of good luck on the university façade. If you find it on your first look, its good luck; if you don’t, its bad luck forever! Luckily I was there to point it out because its almost impossible to see! You’ll be happy to know that Ed and Vivian were blessed with good luck. Can you see it in the picture?
U of SalamancaU of Salamanca
U of Salamanca

We toured the inside and saw the old wooden benches used as desks and one of the oldest libraries in Spain.
Vivians ParadeVivians Parade
Vivians Parade

Vivian can find entertainment anywhere – she even happened across the College of Science’s parade on her own.
Dinner at Casa PacaDinner at Casa Paca
Dinner at Casa Paca

We ordered just drinks and a main dish. The head waiter then told me that we’d be hungry since the servings were small and that we needed to order an appetizer as well! Worried that we were only going to get a forkful of sea bass (which is what Vivian and I ordered, Ed got the salmon), we still refused the appetizer (they were all 19 euros!). Luckily Paca, whom we assume is the chef, came through for us as we had a nice portion of fish, roasted tomato and bread.
Christmas is Coming!Christmas is Coming!
Christmas is Coming!

The decorations starting going up as Ed and Vivian were getting ready to leave; but I’ll be sure the give the report and picture review when they are turned on Dec. 5.



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb