Barcelona Concert Hall


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
November 23rd 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.4702, -0.376804

Walked to the Palau de la Musica for a 10am tour. Designed by Lluis Domenech i Montaner, Antoni Gaudi's university teacher and subsequent intense rival. In the day (turn of the 20th©😉, Montaner was The Man and Gaudi was the crazy upstart. Now, of the seven UNESCO heritage sites in Barcelona, two are Montaner's and five are Gaudi's.

Drove back to Madrid via Valencia. Was pleasantly reassured to see many orange groves near the city. Cracked €30 for a single road toll payment, but the road systems are terrific.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

From the BleachersFrom the Bleachers
From the Bleachers

Similarities with Gaudi's work were apparent, but to me Montaner had a more gaudy, almost baroque style. Spectacular, but too much for my taste.
Muses of InspirationMuses of Inspiration
Muses of Inspiration

Cleverly made in plaster and mosaic, the figures seem to be emerging. The concert hall was built (and is still owned) by a collection of choirs, singers were the focus, not the orchestra.
Palau foyerPalau foyer
Palau foyer

This whole space was originally open, but has been enclosed over time. I queried this, and was told it was because the increasing outside noise pollution was impacting the performances. Pretty hard to regulate temperature, too.


Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb