Getting Around Valencia - Day 6


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
May 21st 2017
Published: May 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

A community run through the centre of the city prevented us from early embarking on the Hop On/Off bus to see the remainder of Valencia city. So we legged it up to the bull-fighting arena at Plaza Toros. Unfortunately and unlike Barcelona, Valencia still actually hold bull-fights in this ring which was built in 1850. A pretty impressive arena for its day I am sure but home to some horrible cruelty to these animals. A museum attached shows some of the regalia and ceremony of the event but the video is enough to put you off the whole idea fairly quickly. Hopefully it will continue to lose popularity and eventually pass into history as a male macho anachronism.

Before jumping on the bus we came upon another troupe of (we think) community group Flamenco dancers providing entertainment in the street to the joy of a large gathering of onlookers. Very colourful and passionate in their dance routines. What a city!

The bus trip took us out to the points of interest beyond walking distance following the old river course which has been converted into a green belt with gardens and sports facilities. The citizens of Valencia grew tired of the major impact of the river flooding and cutting off access to parts of the city so they diverted the river and re-purposed the river bed with great advantage to the community. Very smart thinking. Great outcome.

The bus route explored the port area, some quite new sports facilities buildings, a number of Museums and the Aquarium before returning to the Plaza Reina back in the now familiar Old Town.

We wanted to experience the famous Valencian Paella before moving on to the rest of our travels. Some of the top suggestions involved a 30 minute walk so as usual we did our own bit of exploration to track down what we felt was a good restaurant. There is a staggering amount of choice in the area around our apartment. Our choice proved to be right on target with a delicious Paella of chicken, rabbit, snails and a couple of different beans in amongst, of course, the golden coloured rice. Accompanied by a glass of smooth Rioja red wine the evening was a fitting end to a wonderful visit to an intriguing, colourful city. We will take great memories with us from this beautiful city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb