Fallas madness!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
March 20th 2014
Published: April 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

If you ever decide to visit Valencia, or Spain in general - try to book the dates in March, when the biggest fiesta in Valencian Community is taking place! From my personal point of view Fallas is a celebration worth seeing at least once in life.

We had been studying about it at school and I had always imagined it as something similar to Thanksgiving New York City parade full of big wooden sculptures which will be at the end burned down. I soon found out it is much more than a huge wooden creation - Every "Falla" is created with close attention to detail and many times it has its own, usually ironic or critical meaning of something or someone in the Spanish society. Each barrio (=neighbourhood) is later competing to win the title of the most beautiful falla with the best meaning.

Besides the sculptures, Fallas is also about having fun, drinking, singing and dancing together - doesn't matter how old you are. It is a great experience from a tourists' perspective - as everyone is offering you to join their group, giving you something to drink or eat. However you must be very careful with your belongings as the amount of thieves increases during Fallas!

Fallas also come in hand with fireworks and explotions of all kind! I have never seen so many fireworks in my life as I did in March in Valencia. In my opinion - having massive fireworks every night is a very big waste of money which could be spend on different causes instead... For Valencians' it is something incredible and they enjoy every second of it - you can even see people crying on the streets saying the explosions and the creativity are literally "cleaning their soles".

To sum up, Fallas is one crazy celebration based on the tradition of welcoming the Spring, new life and possibilities. Full of noise, good food and music, fun and art. I am happy I had the chance to experience it - but I would't necessarily choose to see it again :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb