Valencia!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
June 27th 2012
Published: June 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So it has been a couple of days since our last entry - we spent the two days in Mar Menor resting and enjoying the sunshine. We swam in the Mediterranean! Mar Menor is located in the southeast cost of Spain and is the location that all the British residents travel to get away from the cold and rain. It was odd to be among English speakers again and Meredith did not have to really use her Spanish at all. On Monday, we loaded up the Ferrari for the last time and headed to Valencia. We drove about 2-1/2 hours north, spent 45 minutes guessing our way to the hotel, dropped our luggage and took the car back to the airport. Valencia is not a auto-friendly OR Americans-in-an-auto-with-bad-directions city so we are glad to be rid of it. Yesterday, we walked around, visiting the main Cathedral (another climb to the top of a bell tower), checked out a Ceramics Museum (very cool) and found our way to the Modern Art Museum. It was VERY hot yesterday! We were sitting a top the Bell Tower at 2:00pm cooling off from the climb, when the bells began to ring. We both jumped SO high - it was very loud. I think it shook a filling loose. On our way back to the hotel, Meredith noticed a ceramics shop, so we went in. The gentlemen running the shop was very friendly and started explaining the differences in traditional Valenician ceramics in RAPID Spanish. Meredith did well to keep up and translate to me - we ended up talking with him for quite some time (and purchased a tile as well). I asked Meredith to ask him where he "fired" his pottery - she didn't know the word for kiln in Spanish so it took a while to get to the proper wording...she said she was asking him where he burned the clay, where his fire pit was, etc. He finally caught on and told her the word for kiln....Horno!

Today, we are headed to an outdoor market (Meredith's FAVORITE thing) and to the science museum. Tomorrow, we will be escorted by executives from Porcelanosa (a ceramic company here in Spain) to their factories to see their work. It will be very interesting, I am sure!

It seems like I have been here forever, but it has only been 1-1/2 weeks. One week to go!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb