FALLAS


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
March 22nd 2006
Published: March 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

fallas is a festival from the 15th to the 19th of march. the festival is apparently semi-religious, dedicated to joseph, the father of Jesus, both carpenters. this tradition dates back to a time when carpenters around valencia would periodically collect all the of the scrap materials from their work, pile it up, and burn it. now they build huge effigies out of wood, styrofoam, and paper machet. the most expensive falla was in excess of 600,000 euros.
the themes represented are local and international politicians and celebrities, incredibly un-politically correct and frankly racist themes, and everything inbetween. they all tended to be painted with pastel colors, and often looked like some sort of freakish disneyland characters.
every day in the main plaza ajuntamiento, there was a fireworks display at two p.m. called the mascleta. it was more about noise and boominess than visuals. literally miles around buildings shook during the 15 minutes of the show.
from the beginning of march through the festivities kids were on the streets at all hours with firecrackers (petardos), constantly giving local residents shell-shock ( i think i have a bit of post traumatic stress goin). there were also constant parades, especially during the ´flowering of La Virgen´ceremony when thousands of traditionally dressed valencian girls and women paraded through valencia (and right in front of my flat) to present roses to Mary in the Plaza de la Virgen. Apparently the entire 14 hour-or-so ceremony was on all three local TV stations, with commentary running the entire time, and images of local Mujeres crying their eyes out in religious fervor.

hope you enjoy the photos......
anywho, off to the south of france to hang out with some people in robes for a couple of weeks. ciao.


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

what?what?
what?

racism? guess the spaniards aren´t too into the political correctness thing.
fallafalla
falla

sweet
fallafalla
falla

pure comedy


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb