A few good things to know…..


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Alicante
May 15th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CardslotCardslotCardslot

Key card must be put in side of slot in room in order for power to be on...
Before You Come to Spain


- Your cell phone won’t work here. We expected that, but were not ready to deal with the pay phones. Might be a good idea to get a phone that will work here.

- People eat at times we are not used to eating at….and we still haven’t figured out what those are. Lunch and dinner are much later than at home.

- Outside of the city, wine and food are amazingly cheap!

- It does rain in Barcelona in May, so you may want to bring more than one warm outfit-definitely pack an umbrella.

- Umbrellas that you buy in Barcelona for 3 Euros are just as bad as the crappy ones you buy on the street in NYC.

- How to work the lights in a hotel room (at least the one we are in now). There is a key slot inside the room, by the door. Once in the room, you need to insert your key in order for the lights to work. Pretty clever, as you need to take your key out when you leave the room-thus ensuring you don’t waste power. Check this
Alicante TapasAlicante TapasAlicante Tapas

Note the toothpicks
out before you call the front desk…..

- In both Spain and Alicante, it would appear that the best time to pick up trash, wash the streets, start construction, and any other very loud activity, is after 1 am. EVERY NIGHT!

- Ambien- see above

- Most locals in Barcelona either can’t or won’t speak English. Actually makes it a lot more fun.

- In Alicante, people seem eager and ready to speak English- even when you try to speak Spanish.

- There don’t appear to be any post offices or mailboxes….anywhere!

- If you rent an apartment that comes with a nifty combo washer/dryer, be sure to ask the landlord for instruction that are in something other than Russian, Swedish, or something that looks like a bunch of dots and lines. For that matter, ask if the machine actually works, or if it is just there to make you feel like an idiot.

- Do not pay for crappy massages on the beach- you can do better at a local nail salon at home. Just think New York….no eye contact….don’t engage in conversation.

- Good luck with finding internet access- wireless
Plaza outside our roomPlaza outside our roomPlaza outside our room

Before the noise began for the night,,,and the ceremony was in full swing. See next photo for am
or otherwise, in Barcelona. The Starbucks there are supposedly wired…not. We searched long and hard before finding an actual internet café. Even with directions, it was extremely difficult to find. Another tourist told us that her hotel wanted 27 Euros/day for access.



- In a restaurant, it appears that you have to ask for the check. The waiters seem to not mind that you park yourself at a table for an indefinite period of time- they rather expect it. Not sure if they just stay open til you leave or what….

- Don’t chew on or destroy your toothpicks in a Tapas bar- when you finally do ask for the check, they count them up to determine what your bill will be.

-



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Noisy MorningNoisy Morning
Noisy Morning

After a noise-filled night, we were awakened to a ceromony awarding something to a bunch of people. The two buses ran their engines until 7 pm that evening. (View from our OPEN window...
Avoid at all costs...Avoid at all costs...
Avoid at all costs...

The women wandering the beach (see lady to the right) who will drive you insane with their attempts to get you to agree to a massage.
Do Enjoy...Do Enjoy...
Do Enjoy...

the wonderful cappucinos and crepes
Alicante LocalAlicante Local
Alicante Local

Nice to appreciate the pace of life here.
HeavenHeaven
Heaven

Need we say more?
Beach ActivitiyBeach Activitiy
Beach Activitiy

Interesting Sandcastle on the beach in Alicante
Audi Med Cup RaceAudi Med Cup Race
Audi Med Cup Race

Ships racing on Horizon
Spanish Guitar Player Spanish Guitar Player
Spanish Guitar Player

In front of museum.
TattooTattoo
Tattoo

On the beach in Alicante


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb