Last Weekend In Alicante


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mixed Feelings



This weekend was a great last weekend in Spain. I decided to stay here in Alicante and enjoy all that I could before this last week is over. Although I do miss home and a lot of things about America, I am starting to get a little sad about leaving. This time went by so fast!

On Saturday morning a group of us made the long hike up to the top of Mount Benacantil to visit the Castle of Santa Barbara. This was something we had been wanting to do the whole time we've been here because look at the mountain everyday we are on the beach. It was quite a hike up there. There was an option of taking an elevator to the top but we're so adventurous we decided to climb the stairs. We finally made it after taking numerous water breaks; it had gotten really hot. The castle isn't much to see but the view of Alicante and the ocean was amazing. I was very glad I ended up making the trech to the top.

All weekend long there was a medieval market going on in a neighborhood near my house. We ended up exploring this market a couple times because it was so big. The streets were filled with vendors selling handmade crafts of anything you could think of...bracelets, earings, soaps, necklaces, shoes, scarves, pins, rings...all kinds of cute stuff. There was also sooo much food...homemade bread, cheese, chocolate, ice cream, nuts, and a big barbeque...I may have bought a few things. All of the vendors were dressed up in medieval gowns and costumes and there were different groups of performers that would walk around, play music, and do some kind of funky dance (not really sure if it was authentic medieval style). It was a lot of fun.

Sunday night my roommate Lisa and I went to a restaurant to eat authentic paella. Lets just say it was an experience. Paella is a very famous spanish dish and especially common in this region because we are on the ocean. There are different kinds but it typically consists of rice, many types of seafood, and a special spice called azafran. Our food was pretty much looking at us when it was served to us. It had all kinds of seafood...scallops, shrimp, mussels, clams, and some kind of lobster thing. It was
DSCN3031DSCN3031DSCN3031

such a pretty view
pretty intimidating eating all this food that looked like it could still be alive. Fears aside it was very good. That is definitely an experience I will never forget.

It was really hard to go back to school this week after having a four day weekend but I'm plugging along. Only a few more classes left and then finals. It is definitely a weird feeling being almost done. I'm trying to live up Spain as much as I can these last few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

DSCN3047DSCN3047
DSCN3047

hahaha
DSCN3051DSCN3051
DSCN3051

mucho chocolate
DSCN3056DSCN3056
DSCN3056

just what i need...more ice cream!!
DSCN3057DSCN3057
DSCN3057

our scary paella


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb