Resting in the Middle Ages


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia
September 30th 2019
Published: October 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

We took a rest day in Pontevedra and enjoyed walking through its twisting medieval streets. The apartment we were in was a modern duplex built on the shell of an ancient stone building in the center of Pontevedra’s historic district. It was also directly on the Camino de Santiago. Increasingly, as we walk this route it’s clear how the towns and villages along the route supported the pilgrimages of hundreds of thousands of pilgrims over the millennia.

Here in Pontevedra, there is a tiny, shell-shaped chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, who is the patron of pilgrims on the Camino Portugues. It is memorably beautiful in part because it’s so intimate.

People recognize that, with your hiking boots and clothes, you’re on the Camino and wish you a “Bo Camino.” There’s a deep reservoir of good will.

One of the most enjoyable things in Spain is the way that people relax into the evening. Pontevedra has numerous plazas, all lined with cafes. We settled into a cafe on the beautiful Praza de Teucro. We enjoyed a couple of tasty Riojas, while we watched an animated group of women with their daughters, who ranged in age from a neonate to early teens. The young girls were wonderful, cavorting in the plaza, watched over, but not hovered over by their moms. Truly free range kids, who were fun to watch. Because of Spain’s funny time system, it was light until 8:30 PM.

All in all, we had an interesting, relaxing day off in beautiful Pontevedra.

Data: 5.4 miles and 12 floors, all just wandering around Pontevedra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb