Day 38 10/5/12 Arca O Pino - Santiago 20km (last day walking)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
September 8th 2012
Published: September 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Started to walk at about 7am with James and Ange...we only have 20kms to walk....but its our last 20k's....Everything I was doing ...packing my sleeping bag up....putting my knee and ankle brace on...tying up my boots ….packing the backpack...going through the routine I was so aware that it will be the last time....we were both quiet.....

We stopped once for breakfast with the multitude of people that are on the track...there is no avoiding them today...

It was another warm day, perfect for walking...we had the gum trees again.....since Sarria there has been a ten km mark on the arrows letting us know how much further...its 100km from Sarria to Santiago

I got about 5km out of Santiago and all of a sudden it hit me.....when we arrive in this big city ...the ones we don’t like, we don’t get to walk through to the other side and keep on walking , this is it.....I felt very emotional....I think Jacqui is feeling the same.....we are both very quiet walking with our own thoughts...

We hit Santiago and all the old feelings of not liking big cities were there, and I am thinking ...this is fitting to finish in a big city ....the places we don’t like...will encourage us to leave...but then I am thinking what a awful way to finish such an amazing journey.....all a bit confusing....

We slowed down our walking dragging out the inevitable neither of us wanting to get to the end...but …..it did

Arrived at the Cathedral at about 1pm.....we entered the square with quite a few people.... The Cathedral is massive and very impressive..... went inside and the midday sermon was still on and the choir was singing …. we wandered around taking photos and a video and just absorbing the atmosphere.....It was amazing inside.


The Tree of Jesse the Master Mateo' masterpiece Door of Glory is at the entrance of the cathedral... large pillar of granite carved between 1166 and 1188 that over a period of time of people putting their hand in one spot has now created a hand print....they have now put a barrier around it to stop people from touching it....am sure it would take a few more centuries to wear through the granite …....

There is one thing that everyone wants to see which has become quite a spectacle..... the swinging of the giant incense burner.... Botafumeiro.....it was originally used to fumigate the sweaty and possibly disease ridden pilgrims....the ritual requires ½ dozen attendants to swing it....we were hoping to see it swing before we leave Spain...It doesn't happen every day.....

We spent about 2hr wandering around the cathedral and around the square just absorbing watching people arrive hoping we will see people we have walked with, and haven't seen for a while........

Patrick and Ole are two that we started with and have lost along the way...It would be so great to see them and say good bye....

We had been walking since 7 this morning and apart from breakfast and a quick coffee before we entered the square, we hadn't stopped all day or taken our backpacks and boots off.....maybe its the emotion of the whole ending but we weren't tired and didn’t even feel like taking them off.......we won't have them on again for a while... A few of the people that we have been walking with off and on starting to arrive....we went and found the Pilgrim Office to collect our Compostela...The certificate of completion of the walk which they write the completion date and my name in Latin.....also the completion date of the walk on our credential the pilgrim passport that we have been getting stamped at all the albergue's and bars...proof that we have walked.... Its now official we have finished.....A big sense of achievement...very proud of our selves...we have just walked 800km.... and a big feeling of sadness

We saw James and Ange ….we took some photo's of them in front of the cathedral and they did the same for us....they had their accommodation pre booked but they had to get a taxi to get there …..they invited us and we nearly went but decided against it, as we wanted to try and find something close to the square.....

Went and found a motel room just down the road...took our packs and boots off...they have been on for many hours.....settled in had a shower and wandered back out and found a travel agent to get our flights organised to return to London....Sunday morning was the first available flight so we took it...It was really weird trying to concentrate on working out dates and times...we were back in the hussle and bussle of the real world......It really was over......

Wandered around found a Plaza had a coffee.....Jacqui got onto Wi-Fi (pronounces Wee-fee over here) and I just enjoyed sitting back in the sun …..finally we get a couple of days of sun and no wind....a great way to finish....I think the walked was made all the more interesting by having the rain....head winds ….100k side winds ….cold ….

We wandered back to the square...everyone is congregating there …..seems to be a hard place to stay away from....

Went and had Tapas for tea and saw Lindsey and Jonathan.....It was good to see them …..we got to say goodbye to them....Lindsey had bought a dress to celebrate the finish....I bought a new light weight jacket....good to wear something different....

Walked through the square after tea and a group was sitting around having a few beers.....we sat and joined them....It was a happy feeling every one having a great time knowing that after tomorrow most people would have gone home, never to see each other again...emails and phone numbers would have been exchanged and am sure its easier for the people from Europe to meet up over time..... but Australia is so far away......

The cops came along and moved us on as there is suppose to be no drinking in the square....everyone was going to a park to party on......

Jacqui and I decided to go home...Been a long day


Additional photos below
Photos: 144, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb