Costa del Sol to Extremadura and Beyond


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Extremadura » Zafra
May 24th 2011
Published: May 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 24th May
Ok, finally started out this morning, brilliant sunshine and heating up nicely as we approached Seville. Temperature outside suggested something like 40degrees C and we were stuck in a traffic jam.. Thats life. Advice for future, try the Southern ring road even if it looks a bit further, probably will be quicker.
Made good time to Zafra and found the Aire very easily because it was very well signposted. Other vans around and the Guardia Civil headquarters just round the corner.
Didn't go far (just to the supermarket) as it seemed like a long day. Bedded down early.

Wed 25th

Not too early waking up, slept well but traffic a bit noisy. Walked into the old town which is very pretty and peaceful. Read in the newspaper the other day that there is a shortage of swifts and swallows in the UK. I think we have found the answer. There has been a lot of rain down here this year and plenty of insects flying around. There a swifts all over the place, some making multistory nests and all full of hungry mouths. Why fly further when there is a plentiful food supply so close to home?
Not going too far today so headed off to Portugal after lunch. All going well until we got lost in one of the last towns before the border. Couldn't find the right road (certain lack of signposts!) and m,anaged to end up in the old town with very narrow streets and sharp turns. Why does it always happen when I'm driving!! Escaped eventually and headed on to our first overnight in Potugal which is on the edge of a small village beside the bull ring and overlooking part of a huge reservoir.
An American couple with a German registered van already here but quiet situation with lovely views. Looks good for a couple of days.
Discovered a water leak just before dinner and investigated. Actually managed to find the problem and, after cutting a few fingers on the sharp bits, we managed to fix things. Shower in the garage doesn't work now but that is not a problem. Will aquire the spare part in UK. We thought before that we had a problem but had not managed to find it so happy all round. Americans moved off to camp by the reservoir so it's just us and the birds.

Thurs 26th

Very tuneful church bells that they had the decency to turn off overnight. Luz is a very tranquil village and seems almost deserted. Very few people around. After it stopped raining we walked down to the reservoir and to the old church that is all that remains of the original village that has been drowned. There is a museum there giving the details. No wonder the village looks so new, it is!

FRiday 27th

On the move today, first stop the old town of Mourao, just up the road, and its old castle. Not a lot of the castle left and they have no idea of 'elf and safety! Verry pretty square in centre with bandstand and lots of flowers. The old people use it for sitting and gossiping.
On to Monsaraz which is a walled hilltop village with castle which we can see in the distance. Arrived faster than we thought because they have kindly put in a nice new road since our map was printed. Checked out the parking before we were committed to a very steep climb but its perfect. Parked facing the view which meant bwe could see for miles, all the way back over to Spain. The village itself is smaller than we thought and the people are very friendly and helpful. It is a smaller version of Rocamadour in France but with only a fraction of the people. Not many tourists either. Found the wine co-op and bought a few bottles as a sample. Have tried 2 but they are a bit sharp for our taste so will not be stocking up. (Thats one empty bottle and one with just a drop missing).
Huge thunder storm passed just to the North of us as we were contemplating eating outside. It seems as though rain could be our constant companion on this trip.
The size of this reservoir is amazing. It is not a regular shape and on the map it looks a bit like the Norwegian Fjords but from here it looks like a series of lakes. Apparently it covers 13% of the Alentejo province.
Will try attaching photos another time. Have been lazy and not updating daily so am pushed for time as this is being done on-0line. Luckily the wifi is free.

Sat 28th

Heavens opened and storm struck just a we were thinking of making tracks. Waiting for the hailstorm to finish and then we will be on our way. Making for Evora which is not too far distant and a campsite.
Found the campsite and were set up just after 12 so went into town afetr yet another storm had hit at lunchtime. Most things were closed on Saturday afternoon but we did all the wandering around and things like the Roman temple and the aqueduct that were available. Very narrow cobbled streets everywhere and the locals drive around them like maniacs. Luckily they are mainly one-way.
There is a French contingent on the campsite that are on an organised motorhome tour of Portugal, all 14 of them. Luckily they are not noisy as we have them for neighbours but, as the tour is set to finish on the 31st I suspect they will be off tomorrow.

Sun 29th

Spot on. Noise at 8 a.m. our neighbours getting ready to move off. At least they don't travel in convoy. Walked into town this morning to see the museum and one of the churches that was closed yesterday. A lot busier than we had imagined and, surprise surprise, the shops are open. We have got so used to shops and supermarkets being closed on Sundays in Spain that it is a bit of a surprise to realize that they are open here.
Managed to get as far as lunch before we had a short shower but are setting off this afternoon for a few nights beside a reservoir where we should be able to do some walking. Make anice change from cobbles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb