Auspicious Beginnings


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
October 23rd 2011
Published: October 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dateline San Francisco...

The Choral Project all managed to arrive at San Francisco International with time to spare. Our tour representative checked us in, gave us our luggage tags, and we were ready for adventure. Most of us enjoyed a little snack, since we had two hours before boarding, and then we were off. Well actually, we weren't. Our plane had an engine problem at takeoff, which the captain said was immediately apparent. We returned to the gate, and the Lufthansa engineers set to work. After a couple of hours, though, it became clear that our flight was not to be. We deplaned and claimed our luggage, returning to the counter for alternate arrangements. The airline put us up for the night in the Embassy Suites, and routed us on to shuttles to the hotel. By the time everyone got their hotel rooms, it was about 2:45 Saturday morning, and our intrepid Executive Director and Tour Manager were still on the telephone with the airline, trying to rebook the group. At about 2:50, the helpful Lufthansa representative told us we could have a United flight to Washington, DC, and from there to Madrid, arriving at 7:35 Sunday morning. The trick, though, was that the flight to DC was at 7:30 Saturday morning, so we rallied a few folks to call the weary singers and inform them that we needed them in the lobby, ready to depart for the airport at 4:45. At that point, those of us still in the lobby opted to eschew sleep completely, and hit an all night diner for another snack. As I write this, it is 3:15 on Saturday morning. Cross your fingers that the next post will be from Madrid!

Addendum 10/23/2011 - 8:50 PM Madrid - So as it turned out, we were not all booked on the 7:30 flight. Instead, we had 3 folks on that flight, 4 folks (your author included), and the rest were rebooked on the 9:05 PM. When the four of us arrived in Madrid, we learned to our dismay that the main body of the group had been rebooked again for 9:05 departure on 10/23. Sadly, this all means that our first concert had to be canceled, and we will meet the main body of the group at the airport tomorrow afternoon, and head straight to Salamanca from there. If you are reading this, send good vibes to all our singers for safe travel.

More from Salamanca tomorrow!

Advertisement



24th October 2011

Hang in there guys!!!
So sorry to hear about the concert cancellation, hang in there and keep your heads up! It will turn out great!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb