Cadiz to Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
July 30th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hotel Meninas MadridHotel Meninas MadridHotel Meninas Madrid

This is a lovely hotel near the Royal Palace and the major tourist areas. A shot walk to everywhere. It is very well turned out and the bathroomi s huge.
July 29

Caught the early train from Cadiz to Madrid. It travels at anywhere from 85 to 140 kms/hr going from Cadiz to Seville on ordinary rails, then in Seville switches to the high speed rails and makes the rest of the journey at 249 kms/hr (according to the electronic speedometer in the cars). Unlike the Andulsia Express, this train had a "pointy nose" and was a very comfortable and, as is the norm with Spanish trains, left and arrived on time to the minute. From the train station it's a quick metro trip to the Opera metro stop, and our hotel (a different one from the one we stayed at two weeks ago) is just a minute from the metro stop. After checking in, we went for a quick beer an snack at one of our favourite bars in Madrid (the Zahara cafe on Gran Via), then a much needed siesta.

After our siesta we did a tour (okay, a mini pub crawl) of the area between the Opera, Sol, and Callao metro stations. We found a very nice outdoor cafe in the shade (only 31 degrees this evening, with a nice wind blowing), and a very nice
Stairs in the hotelStairs in the hotelStairs in the hotel

Are the originals and refinished. You do not see that very often. Of course there is also a modern elevtor.
Irish style pub with a useful happy-hour, had late dinner at the Zahara, and bought some Riojo wine at El Corte Inglis supermercado.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Metro StationMetro Station
Metro Station

The Madrid metro is clean, efficient and cheap. We are currently a 5 minute walk from the Opera station but I don'thave a picture of it. However they all look the same - this is the Sol station. The metro would be perfect if it were not for the pickpockets which are a problem if you do not secure your valuables. Jim often carries a shopping bag in the pocket on the leg of his shorts and is constantly being targeted. Little do they know that his passport and credit cards are stored in the hotel safe.
BarBar
Bar

This is the sign for our favorite bar in Madrid. We discovered it 3 years ago and ae delighted that it is still here. - actually since 1060. They also serve reasonble food including the best tortilla espanol we have ever had. They make them fresh while you wait.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb