Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
October 5th 2017
Published: October 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The High Speed TrainThe High Speed TrainThe High Speed Train

It looks like a high speed train. I calculated the speed and it was about 120 mph which is actually slow by high speed train standards.
Wednesday we hopped a train to Madrid. Matrid is located almost directly center of Spain and like Logrono is surrounded by low lands of scrub brush and lots of olive trees. It has a population of about 3.5 million with a metropolitan area of about 6 million. Many of the buildings are fairly recent (since about the 18th century) because of the down turn of Spain after spending all their money fighting the British and the French during the 1500s and 1600s. In th early 19th century, Madrid looked more like a small town than a modern city. During the 20th century the popultion doubled.

After the death of Franco and the start of the democratic regime, the 1978 constitution confirmed Madrid as the capital of Spain. Benefitting from increasing prosperity in the 1980's and 1990's, Madrid is an important economic, cultural, industrial, eductional and technological center on the European Continent.

Once we arrived, we had some trouble finding the bus to our apartment. Now you must understand that Kathy's job in our travels is to arrange the accommodations and mine is transportation. I had previously looked at the bus routes from the train station to our apartment and
Very Roomy and ComfortableVery Roomy and ComfortableVery Roomy and Comfortable

I wish the U.S. would take a lesson in train travel from the Spanish. All the trains that we have been on have been clean, confortable and roomy. They even have entertainment just like expensive jets.
had the route laid out. No problemo (that's the only spanish that I have learn to date, but I'm working on pardon me). Knowing that the bus was right at the train station, we walked around looking and looking and looking. Finally, we asked 2 of Madrid finest and they informed us it was a metro train and not a bus. That we needed to go to the train station downstairs. So we went downstairs looking for the train station. As we were already in the train station, this was a bit confusing, but we did as we were told (we think), We looked and looked and looked some more with no luck. Finally I went outside and saw a sign to the station. Kathy gave me "The Look." After some more gyrations, we finally had tickets and were off to downdown Madrid. We found the apartment building but Kathy had forgotten to ask the apartment number. These are apartment buildings like in the old movies about New York. You press the button, it rings the apartment, and someone let's you in. But we didn't know the apartment number. Kathy gave me the look..."WHAT? I didn't do anything wrong." I
Madrid Theater DistrictMadrid Theater DistrictMadrid Theater District

Lots of shops and people.
started to ask but thought better of it. We finally got the number and were let in.

What a beautiful place. The couple has refinished the entire apartment and everything is new. It is located in the theater district of downtown and is teaming with activity. Once again Kathy has done an outstanding job of selecting accomodations. Now I just need to learn the difference between buses and trains.

We grabbed the Hop on Hop off bus and toured the east side of the city around the older castles, large homes, and the government buildings. During our bus ride, the driver had an accident with a car. The discussion between them was more entertaining than the tour so everyone on the bus enjoyed the show. With plenty of hand waving and yelling for about 20 minutes, they finally shook hands, filled out the paperwork and we were on our way again. I really don't understand the driving in Madrid. Everyone drives everywhere. There are lots of horns blowing and yelling but all in all, no one seems to get stressed.

Afterwards, we had an early dinner at a restaurant recommended by our host called the Bodega de
Just Like Times SquareJust Like Times SquareJust Like Times Square

Only cleaner and the people are nice.
Arodosa. We had a couple of beers and tapas. It was a very unique place. In order to get to the back dinning area, we had to duck under the bar through the barmaid slot and go through the bar to the back room. We made reservations for tomorrow at another recommended restaurant called Casa Macareno. Then we walked through the areas of town that we found interesting on the tour including the arboretum, a very nice and large park. Buen Retiro Park is one of the largest in the city. It belonged to the Spanish monarchy until the late 19th century when it became a public park. At 320 acres, it has many areas to walk and a cement pond large enough for row boats that you can rent. Jed Clampett would have been proud. By the time we got home, we were very tired and went to bed early.

Friday, we grabbed the Hop on and Hop off bus through the north side of town into the business and financial district. This was interesting but we did not choose to walk in that area. Instead, we had an early dinner at the restaurant that we made reservations for yesterday. Another great dinner. We had a truffle croquette appetizer. Kathy had octopus with potato and I had meatballs. We shared croquettes and a bottle of wine. After dinner, we shared the most wonderful bowl of ice cream that I have ever tasted. Made from real vanilla beans, the ice cream was to die for. Afterwards, we headed home for a siesta. That evening, we spent some time speaking with our host who was making dinner for his mother.

Tomorrow, we hop the train to Seville.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Retiro ParkRetiro Park
Retiro Park

Cement pond.
Kathy's New FriendKathy's New Friend
Kathy's New Friend

Bart came up to Kathy and was so nice. He wanted us to take a picture...then he asked for money. He was disappointed in my response. As it turns out, we have had several panhandlers try to scam money from us. In Logrono, this guy came up to us at dinner and tried to give us a small carved elephant that he called a good luck charm. After several rounds of refusing and insisting, we took them. Then he asked for money. We said "No." He took his elephants back and left. I guess they weren't as lucky as he thought.
Government BuildingGovernment Building
Government Building

It seems that alot of government buildings start out as palaces. Then hard times fall on those that own them, mostly because they can't manage their money, and they are turned over to the government for taxes. This is a good deal for the government worker who now gets to work in luxury.
Bodega de ArdosaBodega de Ardosa
Bodega de Ardosa

This is one of the recommended restaurants of our host. You can see Kathy trying to read the menu by the door. She can't read spanish but she sure looks good trying.
Early McDonaldsEarly McDonalds
Early McDonalds

This restaurant is one of the oldest in Madrid. Originally founded during the 13th century when the Irish invaded Spain, it has survived many years. It is said that the food served may be as old as the restaurant itself.
Casa MacarenoCasa Macareno
Casa Macareno

This is the second restaurant recommended by our host. The food was excellent and so was the service. After finding out that the server was from Logrono, we had a lively conversation about the area and our trip. If we had this conversation before dinner, we might have gotten a free bottle of wine.
Cafe TomaCafe Toma
Cafe Toma

Our server at the Casa Macareno recommended this coffee shop. Kathy and I shared the two coffees of the day. They were strong. Kathy and I hiked the rest of Madrid that afternoon including the residential areas and some outlying urban areas. We could use one of these on the AT.
Narrow StreetsNarrow Streets
Narrow Streets

Many of the streets in Madrid and in other towns that we have visited have these wonderful narrow streets. I don't fully understand why the spainish automobile doesn't have dented and scratched sides and doors. They drive like maniacs.
Another Beautiful Government BuildingAnother Beautiful Government Building
Another Beautiful Government Building

If you look close you can see the happy government workers happily working in the lap of luxury.


8th October 2017

Girlfriend
She is very smart. You are lucky!
9th October 2017

Yes I am
She is "cute" to boot.
9th October 2017

Yes I am
She is "cute" to boot.
9th October 2017

Fantastic to read.
Sounds like you guys are having the time of your life. So pleased to read the day's activities.
9th October 2017

We Are!!!
I'm glad that you had the chance to read it. Hope all is well

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb