Focus on food and fun - back in Spain.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Tarragona
July 6th 2017
Published: July 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

As we took off from Lisboa to fly to Spain for our second leg in that country on this trip, we left behind a land which in many ways surprised us all. Their wine was particularly wonderful and great value.The next time we shop for red wine in Calgary we will be able buy Portugese with confidence. We already know their port quite well.

Our Skoda five-seater rental car from Barcelona Airport was excellent and out performed the Renault we had in Portugal. Avis was so busy we had to wait for at least an hour before getting underway to Estival Resort in La Pineda, located in the outskirts of Tarragona, a city we had briefly visited a few years ago. Our apartment was excellent with one side facing the east and the other, overlooking one of the huge swimming pools and performance area, allowing us to enjoy the entertainment from a perfect vantage point.

During our relaxing periods, Jeanette and I would prefer to lie on the beach or poolside while Norm and Jenny thoroughly enjoyed swimming in the Mediterranean, less than five minutes walk from the resort. The beach was always crowded with mostly Russian, French and
Gee's goat cheese salad.Gee's goat cheese salad.Gee's goat cheese salad.

Stopped at a little patisserie for white coffee and a snack.
English visitors alongside many local families of all generations.

Of course, we spent a day in the great city of Barcelona sharing with Norm and Jenny the inspired Gaudi masterpiece, La Sagrada Familia (the subject of a separate blog), the Ramblas and other attractions. We were blessed once again with mostly cloudless skies and certainly very warm weather which forced us to ensure we were always properly hydrated. We made several trips to Tarragona, just fifteen minutes away and visited Vila-Seca, Gaudie's birthplace Reus and of course the exciting resort town of Salou, next door. We remarked that Salou never seemed to ever slow down. Crowds filled the streets, restaurants, shops, bars and the beach day and night in a non stop ritual of bronze tanned bodies of every description, all enjoying the festive ambiance to the full.

You will observe that many of my pictures predictably depict our eating and drinking because one of our reasons for visiting was to enjoy the cuisine. I am happy to say that we all thoroughly enjoyed each meal, whether in a fancier restaurant, a tapas bar, cafe or one of the many outdoor places that simply beckoned with their irresistible
My baby squidMy baby squidMy baby squid

Tender and delicious.
appeal. Each experience brought something unique. Sitting outside at La Cucefera in Tarragona, under the shade of its large umbrellas, sipping Sangria while we enjoyed meals of mussels, braised honey textured pork, succulent bacalhau (salted cod) served on a bed of fresh salad, tender chicken paella suspended over the plate or neatly cut brown noodles with mussels and squid and a daub of creamy mayonnaise, it was all, as they say, "to die for". And that is just one example.

In contrast, Jeanette led us to the little town of Vila-Seca in search of a community Barbeque event. Parking on a narrow street we set off in search of its exact location (we were provided no directions) and just when we were about to give up the quest, we spotted smoke rising a couple blocks away. Rounding the corner, we entered a small plaza greeted with the pervasive aroma of grilling meat, sending our appetites soaring. And what an unusual but thoroughly enjoyable experience it turned out to be as we mingled with the local people, each obviously having a great time being together in this communal affair, everyone, including us, grilling our own food to our liking, using
Norm - happy with his mussels at Lunatic Restaurant.Norm - happy with his mussels at Lunatic Restaurant.Norm - happy with his mussels at Lunatic Restaurant.

He actually counted the number of these tasty creatures - 59!
one of the several pits set up, all fired by burning cork. We all agreed that the sausage was one of the best we had tasted - tender, juicy and spiced to perfection, I had to have a second round. And the beer on tap was totally appropriate for the occasion. Helping an older lady turn her meat from one side to the other brought me momentary joy to watch her expression of bashful appreciation that not even the language barrier could inhibit. There is an admirable simplicity that these people project which seems typical of any small town or village in Spain. Clearly, not affluent, just down to earth, everyday folk, focusing on family togetherness and social interaction with friends. We were the sole foreigners there; not a tourist to be seen. I will not forget this unexpected sojourn in a hurry.

So, I make no apologies for showing so many food shots. Of course, we also prepared simple quick meals for ourselves from time to time. When relaxing in the resort, It was hard to top the Spanish sausage, creamy Brie cheese, fresh crusty baguette accompanied by chilled red wine while we sat on our veranda and
Jenny enjoys black rice paella.Jenny enjoys black rice paella.Jenny enjoys black rice paella.

An exotic tasting dish. The rice is turned black by ink from the squid.
reminisced about the days past and planned for the next.

Spain! Oh Spain! - I will be back for a fourth visit, God willing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Baby squid.Baby squid.
Baby squid.

I rate this squid a close 2nd after a dish I had in Athens two years ago. It was tender and a more manageable quantity than the bigger ones I had in Malaga, three weeks earlier.
Walking in Tarragona.Walking in Tarragona.
Walking in Tarragona.

Note the very clean street which was typical.
Ancient Roman ampitheatre in Tarragona.Ancient Roman ampitheatre in Tarragona.
Ancient Roman ampitheatre in Tarragona.

A miniature version of the Colosseum in Rome. Similar games occurred here too.
Enjoying a superb lunch at La CucaferaEnjoying a superb lunch at La Cucafera
Enjoying a superb lunch at La Cucafera

Our lovely, well educated most pleasant waitress added to the experience.
My honey-textured pork.My honey-textured pork.
My honey-textured pork.

Have never previously tasted pork given this interesting treatment and presentation.
Norm's grilled Chicken.Norm's grilled Chicken.
Norm's grilled Chicken.

Take note of the presentation on a hanging skewer.
The famous Ramblas, BarcelonaThe famous Ramblas, Barcelona
The famous Ramblas, Barcelona

Enjoying tapas and beer here was delightful as we watched the many walk by.
Typical bakery in the market place in Barcelona.Typical bakery in the market place in Barcelona.
Typical bakery in the market place in Barcelona.

Norm and I seldom missed a day visiting a bakery or patisserie for fresh bread and other pastry.


12th July 2017

Food and fun
I suggest it is better to read your blog on a full stomach, otherwise one's mouth is watering more and more ?
13th July 2017

I learned so much
I sure am learning so much about the countries you all visit. You sure are a good writer.
14th July 2017

La dolce vita! Great poolside entertainment for me. Unique and wonderful travel experiences.
14th July 2017

An Instagram account would do your travels way more justice not to mention propel you to fame and the perks that come with it. Social media is powerful. I think you could easily get a huge following
21st July 2017

Focus on food and fun - back in Spain
Food was certainly the focus and who can blame you? It looked so delicious and tempting. Looks like you had another great time.

Tot: 0.42s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb