On To Tarragona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Tarragona
October 23rd 2023
Published: October 24th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our train to Tarragona did not leave until noon, so we did not need to get up overly early. We took our time getting ready, went down for our last breakfast in Barcelona then back to pack and head out. We had booked our taxi the night before, since we are in a pedestrian only zone, so the taxi has to have permission to get in and out. The taxi arrived on time, but getting back to the road took a bit longer than expected, hitting dead end after dead end. Finally, we were back on the Rambla and off to the train station. The delay did mean we went straight from the taxi to the train, no time to explore the station itself.

Interestingly, the train stations in Spain have airport style security, all bags go through the x-ray machine. There is no taking your shows off just the bags go through. We got on the train and found luggage racks with about five minutes to spare before the train left.

It was a very quick 32-minute trip to Camp Tarragona, which is the AVE (high speed) station in Tarragona. It was then a good 20-minute taxi into the city to our hotel. The room was ready, so we were able to check in early and unpack before we set out to explore our first neighborhood of the city.

The room is amazing. It is bigger than the room in Barcelona, has a nice big balcony and a view of the Mediterranean Sea. All of this for half what we paid in Barcelona. Jerry unpacked then we were off to lunch. A bit of a snafu here, we had a reservation at the rooftop bar/restaurant, but it was actually closed for the season, the bar was open, the kitchen was closed. The system did not block off the reservation system so that is how we were able to make a reservation for something that wasn’t opened. Instead, we headed to the Circus Bar in the main lobby. We both had Spanish style club sandwiches. Jamon instead of Bacon, Chicken instead of Turkey, and Manchego cheese. They were pretty good served with thick cut fried potatoes. I also had one of the best Sangria’s ever.

After lunch it was off to explore the Llevant neighborhood. Not much exploring pretty much a walk straight down Via Augusta. First, part was very commercial, then became very residential, with house far too expensive for what will be affordable on our retirement budget. It was also very hilly, so not great for 80-year-olds walking or biking into the center of town to do errands.

We walked down the avenue until we came to a supermarket. Here we bought our supply of water and wine for the stay in Tarragona. We also did some comparison shopping. Food is certainly much cheaper here than back home. Two dozen eggs for the price of a dozen in Providence. The selection is also much different, whole rabbit, can be purchased.

We took the local bus back to the hotel. The walk down Via Augusta was downhill, so didn’t really want to go uphill on the way back.

We were back in the room by 5, so we had time to enjoy our balcony and the view. We had some wine and watched and listen to the Sea, I almost fell asleep. There is nothing like the crashing of the waves to lull me right off.

Casa Balcells

The night’s dinner was directly next to the Cathedral, and I mean within 10 feet of the entrance. The walk to the restaurant, while short, was up hill, and steep hills they were. Then 12 very difficult steps to get to the destination. We worked off our dinner before we even ate it. I was out of breath and put to shame by little old ladies with canes faring better than me. The walk was worth the meal.

It was a beautiful night, and all the tables were outside, which was perfect. We arrived just at the right time (yes, we had a reservation, but there were three large parties that got there right after us. All some type of business dinner for the local shipping companies. Tarragona is a very big port city and there are several shipping companies based here.

Tarragona is also very much a cat city. From our balcony we observed several of the local’s starting their evening prowl. By locals I am referring to the feline variety. It was also as if Tarragon (our cat not the city) was watching over us. He has been gone for just over a year, but we still think of him every day. And tonight, he was clearly with us, when I looked across the street there was the mural of the face of a black cat with yellow eyes looking right at us, seeming to say, “I am always watching you”.

We started of course with dos Copa de Cava. In my best Spanish I ordered a Carafe of tap water, the waiter immediately discouraged that, “the water is not good,” he said. It took us a bit to figure out to order, even with the menu in English there was a great deal of “lost in translation,” aged beef was always referred to us old cow, well who wants to eat old cow. We did decide on a menu and ordered.

We started with a Burrata Tomaquet salad, (arugula burrata and green tomatoes) with pesto and an olive paste. It was delicious. With that we had a Tartar Salmo Alvoca, (salmon tartare with avocado) also very good, runner up for the dish of the day. We both had some “old cow” for dinner, Jerry again had the dish of the day.

My “old cow” was a hanger steak cooked perfectly medium rare with a really nice parsley cream sauce on top. The menu said baked
A perfect CookA perfect CookA perfect Cook

Dish of the Day
potato, clearly lost in translation as it was fired potatoes wedges. The description of what Jerry ordered sound as if it was going to be something along the line of Portuguese steak. Beef, red peppers, piquillo peppers and fried potatoes. The dish was called Llom baix vaca vella.

What the dish turned out to be was slightly grilled piquillo peppers, a wonderful roasted red pepper mélange, French fries, and beef cooked rare. Just seared on the outside that is it. I know what your thinking, “nope not eating rare steak.” Here is what made it the dish of the day. The next thing brought to the table was a sizzling flat cast iron grill. Yes, you finished cooking to your liking right at the table. It was very good and fun at the same time.

We passed on dessert and walked back down the hill to or hotel. It was a very pleasant evening, so we took our time strolling through the winding streets and plazas. Back at the room, we sat on the balcony, had some wine, and thought of retirement with this amazing view.

We slept with the window open so we would be gently lulled to sleep by the crashing sea waves, the overhead fan above gently blowing upon us as we drifted off to a peaceful night’s sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Roman AreanRoman Arean
Roman Arean

Balcony View


24th October 2023

Gorgeous
Old cow! Good thing I wasn’t drinking my coffee when I read that because I actually snorted! The view is gorgeous. This place gets my vote because I’d LOVE to visit you there.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb