Girona - the Arab Baths


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Girona
December 25th 2010
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A Good Bath Always Refreshes



The Arab Bath, built in the 12th century, post-dates the time when this part of Spain was ruled by the Moors, but it does give a nice ring to the name. Also the structure incorporates both Arab and Roman architecture. It was a happy accident that we found them. As we made our last walk through this ancient section of Girona we sort of stumbled on the entrance. We had read about them in a guide book and had actually forgotten we wanted to see what they were like. There is a charge to tour them, but as we found in other places in Spain they honored our Czech pensioners card and took 50%!o(MISSING)ff the ticket price.

Each room had a definite purpose and the temperature ranged from cool or cold to hot. There was a definite order to the process of bathing. Also there was a room for sitting and socializing. We were followed through by a number of folk including a family of Chinese with their children.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Fountain like areaFountain like area
Fountain like area

Dressing room area- First place we entered.
ApodyteriumApodyterium
Apodyterium

Windows over the dressing room area
ApodyteriumApodyterium
Apodyterium

Skylights and top of entrance water pool.
FrigidariumFrigidarium
Frigidarium

Cold water room
TepidariumTepidarium
Tepidarium

Warm water room
TepidariumTepidarium
Tepidarium

Other side of the warm room
CaldariumCaldarium
Caldarium

I hope this is the hot room but am not positive.
SunshineSunshine
Sunshine

Let the light into the enclosed bath area!


Tot: 0.644s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 25; qc: 167; dbt: 0.3453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb