Wait... the sun DOES exist?


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Monistrol de Montserrat
April 1st 2006
Published: April 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

When we woke up this morning we were both pretty excited from the very beginning because when we looked outside we actually saw the sun and blue skies. Emily was able to leave the house in a t-shirt and jeans and I think it was the first time I haven't worn my snowboots this entire trip!

If I were to classify the type of city Barcelona was I would say it was more artistic than anything else. We spent most of our touring time in Barcelona looking at various architectural feats... buildings, houses, and cathedrals. The city is really beautiful and the weather made it all the more better to look at. Barcelona itself is a very interesting city.

Aside from the really cool buildings and views that you can find throughout, there are some pretty interesting markets and things around. We went to this one covered market that had fruits and fish and meats of all kinds just sitting around in the open. To be honest it was kind of strange but all the food looked pretty amazing. After that we went to "Las Ramblas", which is a street in Barcelona that has street venders as well as performers all up and down the middle aisle. The thing was that these weren't normal venders. They sold live animals! Not just normal animals, though, we're talking Roosters, Chickens, Bunnies, Chinchillas, Freaky Mice, Lizards... and pretty much anything else you can think of.

The night life wasn't too bad either, it just started much later than we are used to. The first night we went out pretty late and got to the club around 12:30 or 1 and were really disappointed because there were maybe... 2 people there. We had a couple of drinks there and surprisingly, when we went back to the dance floor about an hour later, the line was out the door and tons of people were filling the dance floor. The party didn't actually start until almost 3 in the morning and when we were leaving people were STILL lining up to get in. It was cool for about a night but I don't think I could do it more than a visit. I guess that's why people need those siestas so bad in that area of the world.

The next night we decided that we would shy away from the club scene and try something a little more cultural. Instead of hitting the parties we went to the same place we were at the night before, however, that night they had a Flamenco show instead of an open club. It was pretty cool because they had live musicians and a lead woman who danced the whole time to the live musicians.

What was the best part of Barcelona you might ask? CHICKPEA! At one of the open markets that we went to in Barcelona they were selling chicks (yes, LIVE baby chickens) for only a EURO! We decided that we would have to splurge so the next couple of days we had our own little travel buddy!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb