Day 26 - San Sebastián to Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
July 15th 2016
Published: July 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Wake up and finalise packing. Make a call to the lady of the house to ask if we can stay till 1200. No problems. This is good, as our train doesn't leave till 1610.
Read the news of the Nice terror attacks and feel sad for the people of Nice having spent 3 days there only 3 weeks ago. Worked out where the carnage took place and we really didn't spend much time at that end of town, but hey, a bit close for comfort. Packed the bags and slowly got ourselves on the road at 1130. We still had a few bus trips on the tourist card we had bought so decided to catch the bus to the beach cafes that we passed each day on our way in or out of town.

Good decision as today is the sunniest of the 3 days we have been here. The beaches are packed with bodies of all shapes and colors. We get a table near the wall so we can hide ours bags and also get some shade. The scenery is brilliant and we sit with a drink to while the time away. Order lunch, salad for Chris and a burger for me. Salad is huge and full of salmon and other goodies that salad lovers enjoy. Burger is also good, except for the McDonalds bun.

As time passes, the tables fill and it becomes a bun fight for position. If a table by the edge goes, people up and move into those tables before you can wink. Chris starts talking to a young couple who turn out to be from near Adelaide. They arrived last night from Barcelona. After a few drinks it is close to time to leave. Tough to drag yourself away from this sort of scenery but the train beckons.

On the bus for a few stops then a short walk to the train. Get in the check in queue and finally out and directed to our platform and carriage. Train arrives and on, bags stowed and half empty carriage. Onto Barcelona. Have to remember to lisp a lot now - Barthelona...

Plenty of room in our part of the carriage. Our seats are good ones, side by side. 6 hours so get organised. There are quite a few stops on the way, most for station drop offs, but quite a few waiting for other trains in sidings. Still moves quitevfastvwhen going. Eventually get to Barcelona at 2215, a few minutes late, but our train has doubled in size. Must have picked up another train at one of our stops.

Out into the night sky to find a taxi. Lots waiting so off to our hotel no issues, they have our booking, but can't find us on the tour list. Trying to get a room that we don't have to change tomorrow morning. Guess we will find out in the morning if we have to move. Ho hum...

Need food so roam the streets. Find a little bar and get fed and watered now midnight so to bed...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb