From awhile ago...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca
November 25th 2008
Published: November 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

About 2 months ago, I went to Sevilla and Granada. Sevilla is gorgeous. It has palm trees, lots of pretty arquitecture, and lots of tourists. With the group, we went to the cathedral (which has nothing on the cathedral in Salamanca, other than size), climbed up the bell tower, and saw a view of the whole city. Glynna, one of my friends in the group, brought along a guidebook, so during our free time we were super-tourists. We saw the Alcázar of Sevilla (not to be confused with the one in Segovia), the Torre de Oro (Tower of Gold, but it doesn't have anything to do with gold), and the Plaza de España all in a few hours.
In Granada, we went to the Alhambra, the palace of the sultan of Granada (of the Nasrid dynasty of Granada, the Arab and Muslim dynasty of Spain). It was really similar to the Alcázar in Sevilla, so I wasn't as in awe of it as some of the other students were. But the gardens there were amazing.really cool.
While in Granada, we went to a flamenco show. In a cave (because that's where the gypsies lived in Granada). It was really cool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

La GiraldaLa Giralda
La Giralda

Underneath the bells, is the original tower from the Muslim rule. The bells and above is from after the Christians appropriated it.
Patio de los naranjosPatio de los naranjos
Patio de los naranjos

All of these are orange trees. And the fountain in the background is the original fountain (that still works) from the 1200s.
Painting in the baptism roomPainting in the baptism room
Painting in the baptism room

Apparently someone cut out the man kneeling in the painting and tried to sell it in New York. They found it and tried to blend it back in, but you can still see the "scar". But I can't seem to find the story anywhere online.
1/5 of Christopher Columbus1/5 of Christopher Columbus
1/5 of Christopher Columbus

This is one of the 5 tombs of Christopher Columbus that exist in the world.
Amazingly detailed archesAmazingly detailed arches
Amazingly detailed arches

This is what the entire place looks like
Sunken Gardens in another courtyardSunken Gardens in another courtyard
Sunken Gardens in another courtyard

This was just found in 2003, before, it was covered with a marble floor.
I have no ideaI have no idea
I have no idea

But this was underground and soooooo pretty.
Glynna and Courtney at dinnerGlynna and Courtney at dinner
Glynna and Courtney at dinner

We had yummy tapas and sangría


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb