Day 22, 16th October, 2014: Astorga to Rabanal del Camino, 22 kms


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Ponferrada
October 16th 2014
Published: October 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

San Esteban Ecce Homo., San Esteban Ecce Homo., San Esteban Ecce Homo.,

St Stephens, storks and all
Up early and had breakfast at a bar near the cathedral. We walked out in poor light and had our new ponchos on as it was raining. They seem to work well But at the edge of town we found a spot to take off a layer as they tend to keep the heat in. The first 6kms were pretty uneventful and the paths were very good. Some of the path was on the road and every time a vehicle passed we had to turn our backs to it or get a free shower. The road turned to gravel and a trail of walkers braved the wind and rain. The scent of pine forests followed us most of the way and brightened up an otherwise damp day.

At Murias de Rechivaldo we had a coffee and warmed up before continuing for El Ganzo for another drink and some tortilla. It was a great bar and alburgue and it was tough to brave the deteriorating conditions again. An elderly woman told us the weather would be better tomorrow (she was right) and that we should stay the night. We had to push on.

We arrived in Rabanal at about 4pm and called into a bar before booking into the La Posada Gaspar, a hostel with our own room and bathroom. It's always good not to have to pull out the sleeping bags and travel towels to use. We all had a hot bath and relaxed after a trying day.

At 7pm, Sue and I went to the vespers at the Benedictine Monastery and listened to the monks doing the gregorian chants in Latin. It's pretty special and was held in a 12th century chapel. That night we had dinner at the hostel and slept in until 7am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Ominous low cloudsOminous low clouds
Ominous low clouds

.......and the rain continued
A Ray of HopeA Ray of Hope
A Ray of Hope

It's a pity they only appear due to rain.
Clearing sky but not for longClearing sky but not for long
Clearing sky but not for long

We were lucky it was only light rain for the day really.
A Ray of HopeA Ray of Hope
A Ray of Hope

We've learnt not to trust those!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb