Day in the life of a Peregrino


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » León
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone

Once again I´ve left myself 8 minutes to get a blog together, so I thought I´d give you a day in the life...and many of you may wonder why the hell anyone does this crazy camino.

5.30am - The first pilgrims (usually german but more about that later) get up. They have lots of plastic bags, but are gone by 5.45am. Its OK really because the 'quiet' time between 4-5am when the snorers (and there are lots, and a vast majority are wet snorers who I either worry will drown, or HOPE that they actually will drown)

6am - Get up, pack everything in the dark, dress various blisters, toes (yes, the dead toe was mine, and it has come alive again) and self into the same clothes had on yesterday. Realise that I smell like a tramp, but no deodorant in the world is going to cover the smell.

6.15 - 6.30am - head off. Little plastic bag with some water, some fruit (mmm apricots) and sometimes some bread. Watch the sun rise, check the cloud cover hope it doesn´t rain (cos someone will always have read the weather report the night before and will have said it will rain, so far they´ve been wrong...ish)

9.30am - stop for a bit of a break having done 15- 18km. Drink some water, maybe even have a coffee

12pm - 2pm - stop for the day having walked between 30-43km (43km was the longest day so far, but I got a foot massage at the end of it!)

2-4pm - Siesta

5pm - learn how to walk again. Check out the town and the ´pilgrim menu´which usually comes with a bottle of wine per table, so if your table only has 2 people = 1/2 bottle of wine each. RESULT!

8.30 - 9pm back to bed to sleep. ZZzzzzzZZzzzzzzZZzzzz

Note about germans: There are THOUSANDS of germans on the camino at the moment. Apparently a famous comedian wrote a book last year about his experience on the camino, and now the entire population of germany have taken a month off to walk. I should have brushed up on German rather than Spanish?? Anyway, there is a book coming out in the USA this year, so they´re expecting a glut of Americans on the camino next year. I wonder who I would prefer...

In Leon! 300km to go!



Advertisement



15th May 2008

KEEP ON TREKIN'
I enjoy reading your blogs. We have a daughter and niece on the Camino. They are not as far as you are. Have been in a big rain storm I think about 70 km into the trip-same route you are taking. We are waiting for blogs of the happenings. It must be truly an exciting adventure. Keep blogging!
20th May 2008

our adventure...
Well, we found out that our baby sleeps about as well at home as in a tent last weekend, so that means that she's right for a month of cycle touring right? We're going to check out how she likes actually being in her trailer next weekend, and then we're on... Good to hear that there's time for some proper eating and looking around after all that walking. Do you have a camera??
20th May 2008

Sweaty eh!
When you said you were coming home slowly I didn’t realise you were walking! It sounds awesome though, except for the pain bit, but I’m sure you’ve survived worse. Wish I had joined you! Still even at 7Kg I’m sure Tessa would have felt pretty heavy after a few days!. Keep it up have fun. Rob PS so are you walking 1km for each of your sins?

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb