First Class to Penafiel and Burgos


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Burgos
July 7th 2007
Published: October 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Picnic in PenafielPicnic in PenafielPicnic in Penafiel

No slumming it for us...
Jason and Kirstyn took care of the driving today and we played cards in the back.. it’s a hard life. Our first stop was Penafiel, in the heart of the Ribera Del Duero wine region. We parked the van and had a luxurious picnic in a local park before visiting the wine museum located inside an old hilltop castle which is oddly shaped like a large ship. Everything was in Spanish with no English guide but we managed to have a look around and enjoy the spectacular views of the surrounding countryside from our great vantage point on top of the mountain.

Our stop for the night was the central town of Burgos where we found an enormous camping ground outside of town. It had everything you could imagine including a pool, stores, bar and restaurant. We settled in and enjoyed a proper shower after using the tiny motor home shower last night and had a pretty quiet night. In the morning we had the unpleasant task of emptying the toilet - go Kirstyn, and the waste water. We also stopped off at the shop to buy a 3L bottle of cheap wine ready for Sangria! We went into the town of Burgos and did a tour of the massive Gothic cathedral which is the main attraction. The outside was impressive and so was the interior with an incredible amount of artwork and beautiful design. Also inside the cathedral is the tomb of El Cid, a legendary Spanish soldier from the 11th Century, which fascinated Mick.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

View from Castillo de PenafielView from Castillo de Penafiel
View from Castillo de Penafiel

It looks like the castle sailed into the countryside and got beached on the mountain
Burgos CathedralBurgos Cathedral
Burgos Cathedral

El Cid's tomb is inside


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 38; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb