Toledo Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
June 14th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Toledo is about a one hour drive from Madrid and a very worthwhile day trip it was despite the 39-40 degrees and some uphill footslogging. First settled by the Romans in 170 odd BC and then a place that eventually housed Muslims, Jews and Christians harmoniously together in the one relatively small but well fortified town for many centuries.
A lot of the buildings are rebuilds from Roman dwellings completed some several hundred years ago and some effort has been expended in retaining the style and character from earlier times. A modern construction has been added housing a six level escalator system to convey the tens of thousands of visitors this city attracts up to the hilltop from the surrounding plain area.
We were quite lucky to visit when we did as the next day was Corpus Christi day so a huge preparation was nearing completion with the town decked out with banners and flags and flowers everywhere. Celebrations the next day would have included processions and religious tributes. Being there on that day may have greatly restricted our movement and enjoyment of this fabulous city so we were more than happy with the colour and spectacle we were treated to. Add Toledo​ to your bucket list if it is not already there or ticked off.



















+3

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb