Up and down in Toledo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
May 26th 2011
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had already been impressed by our first view of Toledo’s old town as we navigated our way around in search of our hotel yesterday. As usual this part of town is high on a hill, so today we expected to spend time climbing and getting very hot. Instead, the underground carpark entrance popped up in just the right place to access huge escalators made for tourists who have climbing fatigue after cardiovascular workouts at several historic hill towns. What a marvellous way to rise up the hill and thank you to those who made it possible.
As we left the topmost escalator we picked up a map from the Information Centre and headed off to explore with a couple of particular sites in mind, knowing our euros wouldn’t stretch to going into all the possible sites in the town, even if we had the time. We decided on visiting the Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes first, and spent some time enjoying the cloister area in particular. With touches of Moorish design and beautiful Gothic arches, it was a special place to enjoy quietness in the cool shade and appreciate the lovely garden area in the centre.
The second on our list was the huge Cathedral, built on the site of a mosque after the capture of Toledo from the Moors in 1085. In here is a museum with many paintings by El Greco – what an artist! We also enjoyed the intricately painted ceiling with its religious scenes and the artist’s self portrait peering out of the window at the end of the painting!
It was time for lunch before heading back to the hotel for siesta time in the heat of the afternoon. Attempts to order an iced lemon tea (usually comes in a can courtesy of Liptons) showed what a literal translation of components can do to the resulting order. Our puzzled waitress delivered hot black tea brewing in a tall cup, accompanied by a separate glass with ice cubes and a wedge of lemon in it. Next time we’ll stick to finding the product and pointing to it!
The historic city of Toledo is a real treasure with narrow steep streets and surprises around every corner including cars going where Kiwis would never take a car! The old city is a living functioning place with people going about their business as well as the ever present tourists. We are most impressed and have enjoyed our time here very much.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb