Toledo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
June 6th 2010
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Toledo is one of those towns you picture in your head when you think of Spain. Unfortunately I and only one day and night to experience what this town had to offer. It is a short hour and half bus ride from Madrid, but the difference between the two is huge. The view from outside of town is stunning. It makes you feel as if you have gone back in time and are seeing the city as it was centuries ago. Although the view is nice, the best part of Toledo is down in its cramped streets. Take away some night lamps and electricity cables and you can film a movie of the Spanish Inquisition. Cobble stone roads lead through streets lined with different assortments of flowers, and stores selling all sorts of memorabilia crowd every corner. It is a very touristy place, you may be able to get the same feel in a smaller town without the crowd, but sometimes the people watching can be the best part. A young church group led by a nun was singing famous pasttime songs while waiting in line to see the church that houses El Greco's most famous painting. A man on the street was showing crowds full of people with handfuls of candy. Some kids playing soccer had their ball kicked away by a grumpy old man. "Red-red Wine" was playing in the courtyard of the city cathedral. It was a town that felt very alive.

Probably the best experience of Toledo was going out for dinner. After dark the town calms down, and the lamp lit streets make for some great pictures. We went to a restaurant with outside seating in a small plaza, some food in the warm calm of the night. Wait long enough and the locals get out of church, pouring out in a procession behind two men holding banners.

The next day we would leave for Barcelona, and 8 hour bus ride.

Advertisement



7th June 2010

Great entry Shane! I sure do miss you. Love, Mom

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb