Dinner in a Castle


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
November 29th 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had our ´fancy´dinner last night in a restaraunt that shares the enclosure with the hotel. Its a beautiful restaraunt with a large fireplace in one of the rooms. All of the rooms have high vaulting ceilings with large wooden windows. The windows are especially interesting. All of them have heavy wooden shutters that close from the inside. An iron bar goes from the bottom to the top of the window. When you unlatch the window the bar turns and lifts out of a hole in the stone wall.

Anyway, we feasted just like we were back in the 14th century. The meal started with a plate of different pickled items which I think included a quail egg and at least one veg. I didn´t recognize. There was ham, salamis, sausage and of course the customary potato salad made with a garlic mayo. The olives they served were very different from any that we tried before. They weren´t very salty and had a wonderful savory flavor to them.

For dinner I got quail. Two small quail in a wonderful broth with carrots and a small potato were served along with crusty bread. Luke got a steak that came with an assortment of wild mushrooms, some so small they looked like the fairies would eat them. Dessert consisted of a home made cake, assorted ice creams and the mazapan which seems to be a specialty here. THere are shops all over that sell the pricey almond flavored treat. Its not too sweet and has an interesting consistancy.

Anyway, up this morning in search of a traditional Spanish breakfast. We stubbled across the library which appears to be housed in the palace or at least a building near it. Home tomorrow. What a wonderful trip. Can´t wait to post the pictures when I get home.

Advertisement



29th November 2008

Thank You
Ms Christine and Luke, I loved getting your message. Am I jealous. The trip, castle, library and wonderful meal sound fantastic. What a great experience for Mom and son. Your description of the shutters was so vivid I could just picture them with the opening in the stone wall and all the intricacies that make them so special. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Have a great rest of trip and see you soon.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb