Day 15 Santillana Del Mar to Comillas 23K


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Cantabria » Santillana del Mar
May 15th 2017
Published: May 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

So we start with a 7am pick up for Kris, VERY disturbing to let her go. She has been so great to have along, so supportive and so willing to at least try all the new stuff being thrown at her. She is an educator, fills in every blanks, every day, as to what gonna happen. Not here, every day presents a challenge How the F___ do you get from A to B. Pack up your shit EVERY day have it ready by 8:30 sharp when the delivery service picks up you luggage. What are you going to wear? What is the weather? Where is the bus, train or taxi location? How do I get there? Whats it going to be like when I get there? My GF walked 135K to arrive here in Santillana Del Mar, that is 35K further than necessary to get your certificate of completion at Santiago. It's only the last 100K that counts to get your Certificate for Camino Northern route. The first 713K don't count for shit.

After putting Kris on the bus I begin the trek to Comillas. The itinerary provided by Camino ways provides a short narrative on the things you will see during this trek, the distance, elevation that you will climb and descend along with the estimated time it should take. This is helpful to prepare for what king of day it will be. Feeling sorry that Kris has left I decide to test myself and try to walk this leg quickly. Once again the scenery is stunning, perfect weather for walking and time is flying by.My shin splint feels so good I don't wrap my leg, just walk. I arrive at Comillas 1hr and 30 min. ahead of schedule. Great, because this town has a Gaudi house I was hoping to have time to see. I check into my lodging, dump my pack and take off to explore. I notice some discomfort with my shin, so I rewrap it and go on my way. The Gaudi house was truly amazing, his attention to every detail is a testament to his genius. He was a perfectionist in every aspect of his trade from window placement, woodwork, floors, doors, ceilings,stone work, he oversaw every aspect of his projects. I spent 2 hours examining the house.

I return to my lodging take a rest and get ready for the 8pm dinner. As with most of our lodging breakfast and dinner are included. Sometimes dinner is at a nearby restaurant sometime in the lodging itself. Breakfast is always at the lodging and is 90% of the time exactly the same, bread, tea or coffee, juice, cereal and assorted pastries. In the larger locations, ham, cheese and croissants can be available. Dinner is always a wild card. If it is at a restaurant you get a pre fixed menu (in Spanish), you choose from 1 of 4 starters and 1 of 4 main course's, a desert and wine or beer. All have been acceptable but not great. Tonight is an exception. The owner of the lodging is also the cook. He was very nice, spoke some English and was eggar to please. He tells me dinner is soup and fish. Hey, it's included bring it on. The soup is garlic soup, best soup I have ever tasted really, really, good. Then its local fried sardines. I hate sardines, but I am starving so I try them. Incredible! So tasty! Really a terrific meal, I tried to tip him but he refused telling me my gushing complements mean more to him than money. Great night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb