A little info about Santander


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Cantabria » Santander
September 15th 2010
Published: September 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Santander



Santander, the capital of Spain's Cantabria region in Northern Spain, is a beauty. This beautiful Spanish town provides a great base for touring the highest points of Europe.

The city's location, sandwiched between the mountains and the sea, forced it to develop in a peculiarly elongated manner along the northern rim of the bay which opens out onto the Cantabrian Sea.

There are two distinct sections to the city of Santander- the busy commercial centre where you can find the majority of shops, historic buildings and tourist attractions and the beach resort of El Sardinero which is home to the city's classiest suburbs, the former royal palace and the casino. (in which i now currently reside within a 3 minute walk of the casino and a 10 minute walk from the royal palace.)

Unfortunately, due to a fire in 1941, Santander is missing a very old section of the town. The town lost much of its city center for ever and with it a great deal of ancient heritage.

In the early part of the 20th century King Alfonso XIII chose this part of the Cantabrian coast as his summer retreat and many fine buildings sprung up to accommodate the needs of the aristocracy and court officials who followed the King and Queen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb