Celestial Canary Cruise - Day 8 - La Gomera


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » La Gomera
February 2nd 2023
Published: February 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Day 8 - La Gomera



One word can describe the landscape of La Gomera ‘DRAMATIC’.



After leaving the port and capital San Sebastián we saw breathtaking views as we ascended, taking time for photo opportunities along the way.

It was clear enough to see Mount Tiedi Tenerife in the distance.

At around 4,000 feet we drove through Garajonay National Park, home to one of the world’s few surviving laurel forests. The area is popular with hikers, some passengers from our ship were taking a trek but for us we were happy to enjoy the surroundings in the coach.

The forest was also thick with giant tree heathers and enormous dandelions.



We had time to stop at the visitor centre where displays showed how the local people lived and worked years ago.

A video showed how the farmers communicated with their special whistling language, (El Silbo) something we also heard demonstrated close up during our refreshment break. This particular language system was historically used by inhabitants of the island to communicate across the valleys.

While silbo was at risk of dying out when the telephone came to La
Gomera, it is now part of the school syllabus



As we drove back down through the beautiful landscape the twisted roads were certainly not for the faint hearted.



Back on board with time to enjoy a light lunch on the deck before relaxing on the sun deck and catching up with my blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement











Tot: 0.563s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb