Day 14 Overcharging


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Gran Canaria
February 2nd 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ah two weeks in and we hardly seem to have done or seen anything, its raining again but is still nice and warm and after glimpsing the weather forecast for the UK whilst Dee was watching the TV last I guess we really should be thankful since it seems the UK has actually turned into the South Pole and is being whipped with artic blizzards.

I got up early and played host to a storm of pigeons who have taken a fancy to our Muesli which we have been feeding them. Yesterday we even had a very brave little one who ventured in through the patio doors and almost hoped onto the table in his quest for more. They seem to particularly like the seeds and nuts but throw the dried banana and raisins back.

I also attempted to feed another little local pussycat who visits occasionally but it seems she had already been fed since she turned her nose up at the Tuna I offered her and sauntered off licking her lips.

Today we decided to splash out and take the bus to San Fernando. Were both pretty tired of doing the same trek there and back
DinnerDinnerDinner

Yes Mum I am eating!
and just can’t face it again, especially since it’s raining on and off.

We drop into the Library return our books and check out some more, then we head on down to the shops again and stock up on food supplies buying our main supplies from Mercadona where its cheaper but popping into the Spa for a few little luxuries that they don’t seem to sell anywhere else, such as peanut butter and veggie quorn soya type stuff that comes in a can and looks awful but actually tastes really nice.

On the way home Dee notices that the cap on her water bladder is missing, so I leave her minding the backpacks at the bus stop and retrace our steps to the Spa and Mercadona, unfortunately its nowhere to be seen and the last time we saw it was at the Library which is a whole other hike away at the other side of town so it could be anywhere and we resign ourselves to its loss.

On the return journey from the bus we get a glimpse of the storm drains which run through the centre of town and they have been completely transformed by the recent weather, from bone dry canyons to raging rivers. Judging by the huge volume of water flowing down them the rain is obviously still falling in the hills.

We manage to make it back to El Cardonal without getting soaked, have some lunch and while I take myself off to the reception to send off some job emails, Dee does some washing.

Over the last couple of days whilst I’ve been sitting in reception a number of tourists have come in and asked at the front desk about the costs of staying at El Cardonel for extended terms and each time the price not only seems to change but also goes up. Yesterday a Swiss gentleman came in and said “It is very snowy in my country, I would like to stay here for a month how much?” to which the receptionist replied with what I thought at the time was an extortionate figure of 600 Euros. Today a German couple asked the same thing and the different receptionist quoted them 750 Euros! Considering that we booked through an internet site called Alpha Rooms and paid just over £450 for 38 nights the difference is staggering and barely credible. There is an ongoing ramble and debate in the English language newspaper The Canary News about how business owners, hotels and resteraunters on the island are vastly inflating their prices and how stupid and short sighted this is. There have been incidences of tourists being charged 5 Euros for a glass of water and as one correspondent pointed out if the practice continues tourists will just end up going to other destinations with year round sun such as Morocco or Egypt where prices are much lower and the island will effectively die. From what we have seen so far this certainly seems to be the case and perhaps they need to wake up and realise this.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb