Guernika & Zumaia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country
June 2nd 2007
Published: June 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

¡Hola!

Today we took an excursion with our group around the Basque Country. We went to Guernika, which is the ceremonial capital of the Basque Country. Back in the day, this is where all the leaders of the towns would meet and decide on the laws. Outside this building is an oak tree, which symbolizes peace and some other stuff I forget at the moment... They have the original tree enclosed in a monument because it has died. The grandchild tree still stands though, they take acorns from the original tree, so they will always have an ancestor standing.

Then we went down the coast to a town called Zumaia. We had an amazing traditional lunch of salad, paella, and some amazing cake for dessert. After, we met with a geologist, who wasn´t too bad looking. In Zumaia you can see along the coast, the layers of the earth from 50-100 million years ago. When the plates shifted and Spain moved away from mainland Europe, this created the Pyrenes Mountains were formed, and the layers of sedment were shifted upright so you can see them.

In Zumaia, you can see where the meteor hit Earth and the dinosaurs became extinct. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. We also learned a lot about the weather of the Earth. Every 20,000 the Earth goes through a cycle: 10,000 of colder weather, and 10,000 of warmer weather. Right now we are going through a warmer period, so while we are adding to the problem of global warming, the Earth is supposed to be going through a warmer period. This is something Mr. Al Gore failed to mention in his politically skewed "Inconvient Truth"... o well

After we hiked to the cliffs and got our geology lesson, we hiked down to the marina and took a boat ride out so we could see the cliffs from a different view. It wasn´t as educational though, we listened to Spanish fiesta music and danced. The captain thought it would be hilarious to create waves and go back through them to splash us all with water. It was a blast! I got a little bit of video from the day, so y'all can see it when I get back.

When we got back we were all a little cold, because San Sebastian and the whole region is having an unusually cold, wet season. But according to everyone is shold be getting nice any day now.... I´ll believe it when I see it. But anyways, back to my lovely story... We have our favorite little bakery/chocolate store/berakfast place and they serve the BEST HOT CHOCOLATE EVER!!! Yea it seriously is a mug of melted chocolate... it's sooooo thick and delicious! I've lost weight here for sure, but now that we have all discovered this amazing treat, we might all come back 10 pounds heavier. But I'm going to try to bring back truffles from this place, they are equally amazing. I'm sure if you melt them, you will get the same effect!

Time to go grocery shopping... some friends and I are having some dinner and then drinking Sangria, our favorite kind here, costs 1.5 euros for a bottle.... we are kinda cheap!

¡Muchos Besos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

GuernikaGuernika
Guernika

Stained Glass representation of the famous oak tree.
ZumaiaZumaia
Zumaia

Here are some cliffs, where up close you can see the different layers.
The cliffs in ZumaiaThe cliffs in Zumaia
The cliffs in Zumaia

My hair looks so sexy blowing in the wind?!
The cliffs in ZumaiaThe cliffs in Zumaia
The cliffs in Zumaia

The whole group!
The cliffs in ZumaiaThe cliffs in Zumaia
The cliffs in Zumaia

The cliff we hiked to and looked down on... we were afraid of falling!
The cliffs in ZumaiaThe cliffs in Zumaia
The cliffs in Zumaia

Amazing view...
MikeMike
Mike

I'm getting him back for all the candid pics he has of me!
MikeMike
Mike

I'm getting him back for all the candid pics he has of me!


3rd June 2007

Yay!
Amanda I am reading all of your blogs and I am so jealous! It all sounds so great! I am glad you are having such a great time. It definately will be a trip of a lifetime!!! all of us tradewinds folks miss yas :-)

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb