Yet another pretty, welcoming town and more Wineries!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Laguardia
September 6th 2017
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

View from our room and bakery in LaguardiaView from our room and bakery in LaguardiaView from our room and bakery in Laguardia

Bread was on the windowsill - a good way to get your attention - hope they don't sell that bread!
Simple title, simple day but not so simple food!!

A sleep in was VERY welcome and not having to depart until 10.30am a blessing. We went into the township of Laguardia which really only has retirees and business owners living there and is a great drawcard for tourists because of it's beauty, bell tower and clock. We thought it would be awash with those darn tourists but it was not so and all the locals were delightfully warm and welcoming when we checked if it was ok to take photos, where to sit for coffee, etc. We have finally worked out that tablecloths means wine or a meal (even if only 11am) and no tablecloths ok for coffee! The photos say it all and the video of the action figures in the clock at 12 noon priceless. Sorry I cannot share it here.

Onto the first winery which is an architect designed building and absolutely amazing where we had our second lesson in how to make wine which was very interesting but the lunch was even better. Time flew and we had to leave for our next winery visit which, we had been warned many people might not make, and might prefer a rest!!! We all decided to rise to the challenge and we are so glad we did, yet another architectural masterpiece which houses a hotel and this time we actually went out into the vineyard. We were also totally blessed because harvest has started early, in fact this week, so we saw part of the process from destalking the grapes to putting the crush into the first vat. We will be able to bore you to sobs with all we know about the US, French and now Russian barrels and the malolactic fermentation process!!

We have just had another delicious meal together and we can see why the Basque region is known for it's food. This time we didn't even need to leave our accommodation. I have resisted putting up more food photos - food envy is a very real thing I believe.

What a delightful group we have travelled with, it is lovely to be able to share this time with people who once were now strangers and are now friends. Surely this is what travelling is all about.

Adios amigos


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

This table is for lunch, not for coffee This table is for lunch, not for coffee
This table is for lunch, not for coffee

This is not artificial food - look at the mushrooms!!


13th September 2017
Last wine tasting for the day ... I didn't say the trip!!

Amazing food!
Yes, food envy is a thing. Jamon, chorizo, amazing bread!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb