Bilbao to Portuglate day 8 10K


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Bilbao
May 8th 2017
Published: May 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We sadly leave Bilbao on our walk to Portugalete (10K), the weather is perfect for this leg of the Camino and Kris is all in on this one. We stop at many locations along the way to enjoy the day and add mileage to the trek. The Guggenheim museum is world class structure and from the outside a truly stunning work of art. On the inside, with the exception of the impressive metal sculpture on permanent display, the modern art exhibit was not my favorite. I visited the inside the night before during a thunder storm, it only a 15 min. walk from the hotel, and I told Kris to rest up and it was a must see we would go inside before leaving for Portugalete. Not much to say about this walk as it wound thru a very industrial area along the river. It was very warm and few spots to get water or anything else. We made the trip in about 3 hours to the opposite side of the river from Portugalete. At this point there is a very unusual river crossing devise. Its was a carrier suspended from an overhead metal bridge with a trolly in it that attached with cables down to the flat deck carrier. It could haul 20 cars and 200 people per crossing. It was really cool. After crossing the river our Hotel was just 1 block from the "transporter" as it was called. That left with enough time to really explore the town. I needed a short day to rest my still smarting shin splint and stone bruise. It was very interesting to watch all the diffrent ships go up and down the river in front of out hotel. We found a great spot and celebrated Kris's completion of a Camino leg plus the extra 4 miles of site seeing making it a 10 mile day for her. Very Proud of my G. F. , she was a real trouper.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb