Bilbao to Lekeitio


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Bilbao
June 3rd 2010
Published: July 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Burgos to Lekeitio


After packing and a great breakfast in the hotel, Mike took a deep breath and headed down into the garage to retrieve the car. After what seemed like a period of time more than sufficient to get the car, I went down to check out what was keeping Mike. I went down to the first level where Mike should have come up the ramp from the second level...90 degree turn on a ramp that must have been a 20% slope. All I heard was squealing tires and smoke/smell of clutch and brakes. All of a sudden a car came flying out of the ramp with an old man with his sweater over his shoulder push a car...it wasn't Mike! Next thing I know Mike comes flying up the ramp in one maneuver!!...very impressive; no dents or scratches either.

Again, we planned minimal stops on the way to Bilbao and the Guggenheim. Again, Rick Steves does a good job of pointing out the easiest way to the museum. We parked our car and walked along the river to the museum. Calatrava pedestrian bridge is quite handsome. The "Puppy" was absolutely amazing and was at the peak of flowering...60,000 plants. The museum was quite impressive, but won't get into an architectural critique. Amazing how it ever got built.

A friend had sent us info on the funicular cable car up to the hillside overlooking the city...well worth the effort. Only a couple blocks north of the museum and over the pedestrian bridge.

Upon leaving the city we drove north to see the world's first transport bridge built in 1893. Basically a "barge" for vehicles supported on an elevated bridge, which did not obstruct the shipping channel.

We then drove along the gorgeous coastline to Lekeitio, a small fishing village. After our experience in Burgos, we knew to look into special access to the historical district, where our hotel was located. It was late so we enjoyed a relaxing dinner adjacent to the harbor...and particularly pleased that our splurge for 30 euro bottle of wine was only 13...can't believe I still can't count in Spanish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb