Arrival in Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Bilbao
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Awoken to the sound of Captain McFadden advising we were 1 hour from Bilbao it was now 8am Spanish time, 7am British and ships time.
Disembarking from the Pride of Bilbao we headed stupidly to the centre of Town, to find the Guggenheim museum. Tom Tom was pretty on the ball but not quite a coconut. We were along side but parking was nowhere to be seen, putting this together with the Spanish drivers we deicide to abort the mission, Take the photo and head.
We decided to head to Salamanca with a camp site in mind, arriving at the destination the campsite was no longer there. Campsite number two Dejavue. The sun was pounding in both getting a little on the frustrated side we pulled over regained that “Kiwi get up and go and we got up and went”. Piedrahita was the destination. Typical Spanish town, run down, you think you have just entered a ghost town, but at night it all changes after their siesta it’s a thriving metropolis. We found the most beautiful campsite about 17kms from Piedrahita 5kms from Al Baco called Hermillos. .
Headed back into Piedrahita to get the low down about this most amazing mountain range we happen to staying below which just happened to accommodate the paraglider pilot in all of us. Yes this is the place to Fly. We got the low down on the weather conditions and the take off spot. Hunger was setting in we made ourselves at home at a quite Spanish bar/ restaurant and had the meal of the century washed down with a good vino and a beer which came in a frozen glass, back to camp, we started to explore our surroundings and discovered the most authentic bar in the campsite made up of tables that were old Singer Sewing machine tables, looking out on magnificent mountains, only the trees and wild flowers interrupting the view. The locals seemed to arrive from nowhere and we enjoyed trying to communicate with each other talking away but no understanding all very friendly we finished the night off buy being taught the correct way of saying Gracias (thankyou) and Hasta manana (see you tomorrow).Enough Vino needed to hit the sack.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb