Our day in Seville


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
May 21st 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.3833, -5.9965

Today we are heading back to Spain to visit the historic city of Seville. After returning our rental car we continued into the centre area of Seville in our eight seater van. We avoided underground parking with our huge beast of a vehicle, but did find parking. We quickly found a coffee spot and Jim rushed down the street for fresh baked churros to enjoy with our coffee.

We then made our way to the Alcazar, which was formerly a Moorish fortress. It is the oldest European royal palace still in use. The palace has been greatly transformed since its inception as a Roman Fort. A long history of alterations, expansions and renovations has created a defining mixture of styles, the dominant of which is the Moorish architecture. The large complex is quite spectacular. We enjoyed wandering through the beautiful buildings and extensive and lovely grounds.

From the Alcazar we then headed to the cathedral where we waited in line to see the third largest church in Europe. It is also considered the largest Gothic Church in Europe and boasts the largest altar piece in the world. It is a massive church with soaring ceilings and lovely stained glass windows. Christopher Columbus' tomb is in this church.

We then heard back to Portugal. Near the end of our drive home we once again stopped in the village of Vila Real de Santo Antonio. We found a place for dinner and ordered some traditional Portuguese food. The restaurant and its food were nothing special, so will order these meals again somewhere else.

Following dinner three in our group pigged out on gelato!



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb