Seville, Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
September 22nd 2005
Published: July 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

TouristTouristTourist

relaxing in one of the outdoor cafe's very continental..!!

Seville:

the capital of Andalusia is a compact and relaxing city with a rich cultural heritage.
We (my hubby Sadiq & I) were in Seville in September 2005. It was a long weekend trip to get away for a few days from the work pressures back home in London.. and to get a bit of late sunshine at the start of autumn in England......... which we sure did get cos the weather in Seville is just beautiful - lots of sunshine and heat in a beautiful city and among very relaxed people...!!! The city itself is small and compact and there is not too much pressure of cramming all the sights of the city here so we could take it easy at our own pace and fitted in some of the lovely european shopping too...!!!

We learnt to have breakfast the Spanish way.. toast drizzled with olive oil...& chocolate con churros.......oohh so delicious any time of the day its my favourite snack and i made sure i had lots of it..!! The coffee shops were a great way of relaxing and we even spotted our favourite corner a "starbucks" which is a recent addition to the tradition of coffee shops
Plaza de EspañaPlaza de EspañaPlaza de España

Designed as the centrepiece of the Spanish-American fair
n is obviously frequented by american tourists in search for some familiar surroundings i guess..!!! it cannot beat the traditional spanish coffee shops though which serve some of the best lattes... however the frappuchinos make a welcome relief to the heat........!!!



Some of the beautiful sights are....


Plaza de España and María Luisa Park
Laid out in 1929 for an ill-fated "Fair of the Americas", the Plaza de España and adjoining María Luisa Park are among the most pleasant - and impressive - public spaces in Spain. A vast semicircular complex, with its fountains, monumental stairways and mass of tile work.

Giralda
Unquestionably the most beautiful building in Sevilla, the Giralda, named after the sixteenth-century giraldillo or weather vane on its summit, dominates the city skyline. The minaret was the culmination of Almohad architecture, and served as a model for those at their imperial capitals of Rabat and Marrakesh. It was used by the Moors both for calling the faithful to prayer (the traditional function of a minaret) and as an observatory.

Alcázar
Rulers of Sevilla have occupied the site of the Alcázar from the time of the Romans.
it offers some
Plaza de EspañaPlaza de EspañaPlaza de España

A vast semicircular complex..!
of the best surviving examples of Mudéjar architecture - the style developed by Moors working under Christian rule. Here was built the great court of the Abbadids, which reached a peak of sophistication and exaggerated sensuality under the cruel and ruthless al-Mu'tadid - a ruler who enlarged the palace in order to house a harem of eight hundred women, and who decorated the terraces with flowers planted in the skulls of his decapitated enemies. Later, under the Almohads, the complex was turned into a citadel, forming the heart of the town's fortifications.

Cathedral
Sevilla's Catedral was conceived in 1402 as an unrivalled monument to Christian glory. To make way for this new monument, the Almohad mosque that stood on the proposed site was almost entirely demolished. From the old mosque, the magnificent Giralda and the Moorish entrance court, the Patio de los Naranjos, were spared.

Plaza de toros de la real Maestranza
Seville's 18th century bullring, one of Spains oldest, has a Baroque facade in white and ochre. Bullfighting is a sacrificial ritual in which men pit themselves against an animal breed to kill.














Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Plaza de Toros de la MaestranzaPlaza de Toros de la Maestranza
Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza

Spain's oldest Bullring..!!
Plaza de Toros de la MaestranzaPlaza de Toros de la Maestranza
Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza

Spain\'s oldest Bullring..!!
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Built on the site of the demolised Moorish mosque
Skyline of SevilleSkyline of Seville
Skyline of Seville

view from the top of the Giralda..!!


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb