SPAIN-SEVILLE-1020 THRU 1023


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
October 22nd 2009
Published: October 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

THE REAL ALCAZAR
Ole!!!
A Flamenco guitarist, a singer, two Flamenco dancers, one man and one woman, in the middle of a enclosed courtyard of an old house in the Jewish quarters of Seville...The audience seated in the cloister area surrounding the courtyard...Firm, angry, determined, the Flamenco dancer stomped the audience into transcendence...The singer sounded like a Muadzin, his voice penetrating...The guitarist's fingers elegantly and effortlessly strobed the guitar strings...The Flamenco performance and the ambiance was magical...A great end to an eventful day...
Yesterday I visited The Real Alcazar, Seville Cathedral, and Plaza De Toros, and had a great Tapas meal for dinner, prior to returning to the hotel to rest and get ready for the Flamenco performance at La Casa De La Memoria, adjacent to the hotel...I love the name La Casa De La Memoria!!!!
The Real Alcazar is a beautiful example of Mudejar style. Mudejar are the Muslims from Andalusia who remained in the Christian territories after the re-conquest. I have questions whether they converted to Christianity or not...I read and hear different things...They incorporated Islamic patterns into many Christian buildings, these patterns evolved into other more fluent and flowy patterns. The Real Alcazar is beautiful and its gardens are breathtaking...
Right
Photo 5Photo 5Photo 5

THE GARDENS AT THE REAL ALCAZAR
across the Plaza Del Triunfo from the Real Alcazar is Seville's Cathdral. It was a mosque prior to the Christian reconquest, but the mosque was destroyed and its minaret and Naranje courtyard were spared. The Minaret was turned into a bell-tower. The Cathedral is Gothic and is the third largest cathedral after St. Peters in Vatican and St. Pauls in London. It holds the tomb of Christopher Columbus. The massive columns and the nave of pointed arches create a very spiritual atmosphere. There is a ten story square ramp to the top of the bell tower/minaret...The are beautiful panoramic views of the city.
Seville is a maze of narrow streets...It is hard to decipher the city from the top of the minaret or even in maps...I found myself always looking for the minaret when I felt lost...It is a great city to get lost in...
Plaza De Toros...I loved it and I would definitely recommend a visit...It is walking distance to the cathedral and across the Guadalquivir river...There are only tours to it...The bullfighting season is between April and October, and it is not an event for the faint of heart...But for some reason I find the whole pageantry very
Photo 7Photo 7Photo 7

PATIO DE LAS DONCELLAS AT THE REAL ALCAZAR
intriguing, the Torro (Bull), the Toreros (The Matadores, the Picadores, the Bandelliroes), the Prince's Seat, the circular bull rink with a yellowish colored field, the chapel where the Toreros pray prior to evry game, the gilded costumes, the play between man and animal...
Today was walking around the city, doing some shopping, visiting the Torre Del Oro along the river and the Plaza Espana...
Tha sad things is I found alot of construction and rehabilitation work around Europe, especially in Spain. As a result there is a lot of cranes, tractors, sound, and traffic.
The things I find special about Seville are the private courtyards with beautiful mosaic and tile work. The mazed narrow streets, and the tapas bars, the side street/plaza Flamenco guitar players...
Did you know:
Tapas means to cover...There are several legends related to its origin...But in Andalusia Sherry drinkers used to cover their glass with small plates to keep it from fruit flies...The plates were topped with snacks, and eventually these small snack plates evolved into a certain style of cuisine...
Tomorrow I am off to Granada...That is the crowning glory for me...I am planning to be at the gates of the Al Hambra at 8:00
P1020654P1020654P1020654

THE CEILING OF THE CUARTO DEL PRINCIPE AT THE REAL ALCAZAR
am on Saturday...
Until then,
M

p.s. I find myself like a child...This all feels so new to me...The desire is overwhelming...



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

THE GIRALDA MINARET AT THE CATHEDRAL OF SEVILLE
P1020739P1020739
P1020739

PANORAMIC VIREW IF SEVILLE FROM THE GIRALDA MINARET
P1020680P1020680
P1020680

SEVILLE CATHEDRAL
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

PLAZA DE TOROS
P1020825P1020825
P1020825

TORRE DEL ORO AND THE PARK ALCALDE ALONG THE RIO GUADALQUIVIR
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

PLAZA ESPANA
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

A TYPICAL HOUSE IN THE OLD SANTA CRUZ NEIGHBORHOOD OF SEVILLE


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb