some time to relax.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Málaga
February 5th 2006
Published: February 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

on the buson the buson the bus

lauren and i on the bus to málaga. we rode a lot of buses. something kind of new to me (not an extensive bus system in south dakota). i kinda like it.
Well, we had a week-long break between the intensive month and the start of actual classes. This was two weeks ago... you know how it goes. And when I say that I was on vacation during our vacation time, I mean it in the most vacation-ey way possible. Our days in málaga were long but lazy...we laid around a lot, read, talked, ate, drank, slept...

We took a bus (cheap), and it was only a couple of hours until we arrived. We stayed at Rincón de la Victoria, which is basically a little fishing town right outside of the actual city of Málaga. And it´s sort of confusing because Málaga is a province as well. Anyway, like i said, we had a pretty chill vacation. Our hotel was on the beach of the mediterranean, so we spent a lot of time on our balcony, enjoying the scene (and the weather, which was much nicer than granada´s at the moment). A couple of times we went to the grocery store up the road and bought cheese and meat and crackers and just sat out there for hours. When we weren´t in the hotel, we were out having lunch or out strolling
the viewthe viewthe view

our hotel was along the beaches of the mediterranean... need i give any adjectives?
around with no real destination. We did go to the Museo Picasso de Málaga, which was way interesting and fun.

We spent our last night out on the town in downtown Málaga. There´s this plaza there called Plaza de Merced, and every weekend it is packed with people botellóning. Oh, have I explained the concept of the botellón? i think not. well, it´s basically the most popular social activity of young people here in Spain - people bring beer, wine, mixed drinks, what have you and stand around in plazas and other outdoor places of the sort. I´m pretty sure it´s officially illegal, but it´s one of those things that just sort of slides by. From what I hear, occasionally the cops will walk around and everyone disperses, but typcially it´s completely overlooked. But as for the botellóning at this plaza in Málaga, I have no idea how the law applies. It was seriously intense - I was in awe for a while.

Let´s see... I think that´s all I´m going to say about Málaga. It was a nice, cheap vacation that was truly relaxing. As I get older, I´m starting to learn that vacations really are quite
taking it in...taking it in...taking it in...

we´ve just arrived...enjoying the balcony.
a bit of work. No longer can I just sit back while someone else makes the reservations, creates the schedule, and dishes out the cash. I´m learning to do it all, but this vacation didn´t require much of me. And that´s okay.

Until next time, abrazos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

beachity beachbeachity beach
beachity beach

after eating dinner on the boardwalk, we walked out to the beach. and yes, i am about to write ¨málaga¨ in the sand.
a monument along the beacha monument along the beach
a monument along the beach

there was this monument in a cave-like opening along the beach. it was basically a shrine to the sea, and to everyone who has lived, worked, and died in/on it. there were fresh flowers there, places to sit, etc. i felt extremely reverent.
chillaxinchillaxin
chillaxin

sitting in well-known plaza de la merced after lunch in málaga. at night, this plaza is literally packed with young people. we had just had ice cream and were enjoying sitting in the sun.
plaza merced...a little later in the nightplaza merced...a little later in the night
plaza merced...a little later in the night

the aftermath of the botellón-ing, taken when most, but not all, had retired for the night (same plaza as the other picture). what fun to be the people in charge of keeping a famous plaza looking presentable...


20th February 2006

Hey
Sounds like your having a good time. From what I've read Granada has a big Muslim past, a lot more varied than what we see. With that in mind, I really think you should try some Moorish food, a little Mediterranean Middle East. Something very cumin/coriander if you catch my drift, or maybe you already have. Either way, have fun!
20th February 2006

Too bad we didn't visit these places at the SAME time! It's fun to see them again :)
23rd February 2006

Showed your blog to Grandma
I am here in Mitchell and I just got to show Grandma, (mom, helen) your blog and pictures. She enjoyed them alot!!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb